Entourage or Mail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac, Retina 5K, 3.6 GHz, 64 GB Memory, 2 TB storage
Which program should I use for email?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Mail has better junk mail blocking which is why i use it but Entourage is a solid allaround Organizer with mail calender, todo, addresses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Yeah I use Entourage.. Mail just cant do the things that I need it to do. Plus I have spamassassin installed on the server so it does my spam blocking for me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
wow i just took a look at spamassassins install thing and im gonna have to stick with mail since i was just lost

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah it's for webmasters :) If I didnt have server side spam blocking then I would definitely still use Entourage since everything I need is in one program instead of all split up like Mail, Address Book, iCal, etc etc

I like Spamfire which is a pretty good app.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Murlyn said:
Yeah I use Entourage.. Mail just cant do the things that I need it to do. Plus I have spamassassin installed on the server so it does my spam blocking for me :)

Murlyn,

I'm going with Entourage. Is there a way to set the program up to automatically receive & send email when the program is opened?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Im sure there are.. for example use iKey along with Entourage and it would work, but just with Entourage, I don't believe so.

I just have a schedule set so that every 5 minutes it downloads my new email and that serves me great. Plus I have it delete all trashed mail older than 3 months each time it opens up. It's not too hard to hit the send and receive button when you open it up though :)

Cheers!

S

StarManta

I find Mozilla mail to be better than either of those, though I didn't know that Mail had spam blocking in it when I made my choice.... considering I've switched from 3rd-party apps the Apple apps quite a bit (Mozilla browser to Safari, etc) I'll probably be switching to Mail at some point....

J

Jetroza

If it's just recieving and sending e-mails... mail is by far the quickest 2 use

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jetroza said:
If it's just recieving and sending e-mails... mail is by far the quickest 2 use

I haven't seen a speed difference. However, I'm new to Apple and use Entourage only for email so...how do I set up Mail to show me folders beside the list in the Inbox etc.. similiar to the view in Entourage. If I can do this I'll switch back to Mail!

K

kakosc

eh, my computer has assigned entourage as the default email client and i hate it! Entourage is so slow, and it never tells you what its doing. You click send and it will freeze up for 2 minutes while it does something, and then when you try and close it 15 minutes later it says that there is a network operation in progress. Ive always had problems with microsoft email programs though. When i was with windows I couldnt use outlook, I just find them so slow and clumsy. Besides, the security flaws in outlook (not sure about entourage) are incredible. Microsoft has just left the back door wide open.
I use Mail. Its just so simple. You drag attachments into the compose window, type in the text, then click send. As soon as an email arrives you get the ping noise and a little number on the dock icon telling you how many unread emails you have. And because apple are stingy and only give you 256 meg of ram with your iMac, i prefer to use mail because it doesnt use nearly as much processing power as entourage. I just leave mail running in the background so as soon as i get an email i can read it, and i dont see any perfornance differences.
Spam wise, i never get spam anyway, so i dont know. Even my hotmail account rarely gets spam. I think its a case of prevention rather than cure. Never just throw your email about.
Set up wise.. I change ISPs alot, so my isp email address changes alot. And with microsoft email clients changing your account is next to impossible. There is no simple way to manage, delete and add new addresses. Mail has a little list of accounts, with delete add and edit buttons. the only real problem is changing outgoing email servers, i cant seem to delete any of the servers off the list.
An email client should be small and simple. Entourage is an unnessaarily big program and is just too slow and unreliable for me to use. I used it for a little while, but it was just terrible, and when i saw the sent date on one email as "tommorrow" (i have a screenshot to prove it) i decided to change to mail.

K

kakosc

rukind2 said:
I haven't seen a speed difference. However, I'm new to Apple and use Entourage only for email so...how do I set up Mail to show me folders beside the list in the Inbox etc.. similiar to the view in Entourage. If I can do this I'll switch back to Mail!
Click Mailboxes, and see the side bar slide out. Then click the mailboxes menu bar and click New Mailbox... from there it has instructions on making sub folders and the rest. I dont think there is a automatic filtering option though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.