Trouble with mail merge in Microsoft Word for Mac 2011

Reaction score
I am trying to create labels using Word for Mac 2011 using the Mail Merge Manager. When I get to the step where you choose a data source, the system will not open the Excel for Mac document where my addresses are. I first get a Convert File box and am asked to choose which type of Excel spreadsheet I am using and then I get a warning message when I tell it to go ahead and convert. Then it says "There was an error opening the file." My husband is experiencing the exact same thing on his Mac using an entirely different Excel doc. Help! I'm pretty sure this worked for me at Christmas time, which makes it even weirder.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like the Excel file you're trying to open with Word 2011 (Office 2011) is not setup properly. You shouldn't have to convert the file in order to use it for Mail Merge as long as the file is setup properly as a source for the Mail Merge.

Take a look at this Office article on how to create a Mail Merge using Excel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.