New service created each time I plug in the USB to Ethernet adapter

Reaction score
Hi. I have an old 2007 Macbook running OS X 10.7.5. The ethernet port is fried and I don't want to use WiFi, so I use a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter. Now, everytime I plug it in, it creates a new, additional service in my network prefs, numbered "USB to Ethernet adaptor 1, 2, 3, 4..." (yes, it says adaptor. Don't judge me).

Does anyone have an idea why this is or how to resolve this without having to purchase a different adaptor?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You don't want to use WiFI?

Simply use an ethernet cable to your router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh sorry matchead. USB adapters are a bit of a hit and miss affaor at the ebst of times and a cheapie may well not be worth what you paid for it.

A lot will also depend on your router. If you have a dual channel model, this is designed for MacBook and uses the 5GHz channel. It seems to me over the last 25 years, anything cheap has difficulties working with a Mac.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LGN8HWS/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
I was talking about a USB to Ethernet adapter, not WiFi. WiFi works fine but what I am looking for is an ethernet connection. Actually, I have an ethernet connection through the USB to Ethernet adapter but it creates a new service each time I plug it in and what I am asking for is advice on how to avoid this behaviour.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.