Mac mini mid 2010

Reaction score
I downloaded 10.2,2 on my Mac mini in Nov 2014, everything was working fine, the mini is connected via HDMI to a 32" Samsung TV, the mini has 8 GB of memory which I installed in July 2014. About three weeks ago the mini was asleep and when I went to wake it up all I got was the mouse pointer on the screen...I tried different HDMI ports to no avail...and even the mini display port to HDMI...nothing but the mouse pointer, no help from forums on the www...I did everything but try another display, however, I ran the apple key +shift p+r and brought up the disk utility. I ran a verify, and repair permissions and everything came back ok...so I figured it wouldn't hurt to do a reinstall of the OS, which I did..i i did this via a download..including the updated firmware...still nothing..just the mouse pointer..oh..the disk utility worked fine..the display was working on the original HDMI to HDMI setup...so I thought perhaps Yosemite was the issue, so I installed the OS that came with it..Snow Leopard..which took quite awhile..on DVD ...here's where it gets strange..after installing the OS I restarted and the usual came up...select language...read the Apple Agreement clicked ok and Continue..window comes up: select destination...the window where usually the disk image shows up, well, the window was blank...I clicked go back twice..and tried again...same same...I clicked on disk utility and when it opened on the left side where it shows the name of the hd then below it it says: MacIntosh HD, well the HD wasn't there below the name/size of disk...and below that it shows the install DVD ..I tried to make a disk image and got this error -61. Any ideas, is the HD toast, is the computer toast? I also got the 'cannot bless something'.
A little background info about this Mac mini: in 2006 I bought the first intel Mac mini core duo...this ran for 4 years with no issues until one day I got the black screen of death on start up...several weeks of this so I went n bought a 2010 Mac mini, came home and and for the heck of it I fired up the other mini and it worked...so I plopped the new mini in a drawer and figured I'd get to it at a later date..FOUR years later the mini finally gaped its last spin of the HD so I drug out the 2010 mini and this is where I am today

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.