Tried to update the OS on my MacBook and now it won't turn on!

Reaction score
Long story short...

I went to update my OS on my MacBook Pro and it froze at the last 5 seconds, after waiting an hour I did what I later learned was the wrong thing to do... Try to restart it.

Now when it turns on it's just a grey loading screen with the apple symbol, as soon as it finishes loading it then automatically turns off by itself.

I brought it to geek squad since I have insurance at best buy (got an open box deal, computer is only 1.5 years old) they kept it for a week and had no idea what to do, but suggested the hard drive was shot and to replace it... Before I do that, is there anything else I can try? Thank you in advance! I'm pretty desperate here :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes!!!! For your ...is there anything else I can try????

Get it to a PROPER Apple Authorized Repair Tech and get it fixed for a problem that should have taken maybe an hour at most to diagnose!!!

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, I hate geek squad and plan on doing this... But I don't have a car and won't be able to get there for a few days so I was hoping I could try something in the meantime.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OK, but you might want to post some details of your MB model and OS X versions being used or attempted to update and use.

So if it's an old SL era MacBook, use the install DVD and try booting from it, usually holding the C key down when booting up.

For later OS X versions, try booting using the Command+R to boot from the Recovery HD, and then use Disk Utility to repair or fix your normal boot volume.

Have a look at Apple's kb article:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201314

Hopefully that might be enough to get you back up and running. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Got a backup on an external hard drive by chance? Always do this before updating or upgrading.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.