Macs won't install Canon Printer

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have a Canon MP630 printer. Previously, it happily connected to my iMac for the last few years.

Yesterday, I done a clean install of Yosemite because after 5 years, my iMac was starting to show its age.

Now, the iMac works a lot better, but my Printer can not install. When I switched it on, no driver installed automatically as it did the first time I done this a few years ago. When I go into Printers at the Preferences Pane, it sees the printer, but when I click on it, it has no driver. When I click the "Use select software", no Canon printers appear.

I have searched for drivers online, but can't seem to find any, with everything saying the driver should be in OSX automatically.

I have Time Machine backups, but I have no idea where to find the actual driver to bring back.

This isn't just my iMac, I have a new MacBook Pro and that has the same problem.

How can I either get the old driver back from Time Machine, or where can I find a new one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Apparently Canon does not have a driver for OSX 10.10 for your MP630.
Are you sure that OSX 10.10 does not have a default CUPS driver for your MP630.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Canon are slow updating Mac drivers and always have been. If Apple does not have a driver then bad news. It is a pretty old printer being released in OS X.3 days. You might like to have a read of this and try the download as a last measure. It could be worse you could have a Lexmark printer.

MP630 appears on this list. Make sure the printer is connected via USB and powered on before looking for it by hitting the little (+) button.

Apple Canon Printer Driver 3.0 for Mac OS Driver - TechSpot

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks McBie & harryb2448. I can't see a CUPS driver anywhere.

Looks like I need to upgrade my printer.

again, thanks for your help.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might want to give the Gutenprint drivers a try. Support for the 630 series is listed as experimental.

The main page lists support through 10.8 and later though I haven't found specific mention of Yosemite. They might or might not work due to the kext signing introduced in Yosemite.

Reaction score
Canon MP630

HI
Eventually discovered my MP 630 runs on the MP 640 driver from the Canon printer driver download 3.2
What a relief!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.