Macbook Air card reader suddenly stopped working

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm frustrated. I bought my Macbook Air about 8 months ago, everything seemed to be working until now when all of a sudden my SD card won't show up on my Mac. I've tried blowing into the slot as hard as I could, tried to poke around with a toothpick like suggested on so many forums, tried to restart it and turn it off and on, looked at disk utility (no sign of a card), tried opening iPhoto and import - no sign of a card, tried wiggling the card and slowly taking it out/putting it in, moving it both sides/up and down, looked at profiler - card reader shows up but no sign of a card. Tried to proceed with all of the suggested updated, even tried to put in a USB stick and unmouting it cuz I read unmounting all the devices could help. Nothing. I'm losing hope. The card worked without a problem several days ago, it was formatted for Mac and of course I tried to put in another card (a completely new one) but that doesn't show up either. Any ideas what else could help?? Also, is there something like a little glass ball inside the slot in the far left corner? I imagine this is supposed to be there as I've tried to poke it/move it but it wouldn't do anything.
Any suggestions appreciated!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you've tried everything and still can't get the SD card slot to work, then it's probably a good idea to take your MacBook Air to Apple and let them trouble shoot it. Since it's 8 months old, it's still under warranty. Are you near an Apple Store? If so, make an appointment and take your MacBook Air on in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.