Pages and Numbers - about file formats and saving documents

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
So, had my Mac for a little more than a month now. Wondering a few things and hoping folks here might clear things up for me (for the record, been using both programs now and things are mostly fine; just a question or three for clarification):

1. Imagine I open a Word docx or Excel file. I type a bit. When I save it, I assume that it saves it as a Pages or Numbers document, and not in the original Word or Excel format, correct?

2. Assuming the above to be true, imagine, again, I open a Word or Excel document. I type a bit. I don't save the file as normal. Instead, I do the Export To... command. Does the computer save it in the format I specified (docx or xml) without my saving the file in Pages or Numbers format? Or do I have to save it first in Pages or Numbers, and THEN Export?

3. If I receive a .rtf from someone, can I set it up to open in Pages rather than TextEdit? Or am I crazy?

Just some stuff in my head as I wrangle with a new system. I'm using it for all my home and professional needs, and I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything the hard way or something too silly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
So, had my Mac for a little more than a month now. Wondering a few things and hoping folks here might clear things up for me (for the record, been using both programs now and things are mostly fine; just a question or three for clarification):

1. Imagine I open a Word docx or Excel file. I type a bit. When I save it, I assume that it saves it as a Pages or Numbers document, and not in the original Word or Excel format, correct?

Hello - from Apple's KB articles the file formats supported in Pages and in Numbers. I would suggest experimenting w/ some sample Word & Excel files - just check in your documents folder to see what happens. Also, if the original Office files are important to maintain, then simply duplicate the file(s) in Finder and a 'copy' will be created - you can then use one or the other to work in Pages or Numbers. Also, in either app, when the 'File' menu option is opened only 'Save' is seen - press the Option key and 'Save As' will magically appear in which you can change the name of the file. Also files in Pages or Numbers format can be exported to their Office equivalents but you likely already know this option.

2. Assuming the above to be true, imagine, again, I open a Word or Excel document. I type a bit. I don't save the file as normal. Instead, I do the Export To... command. Does the computer save it in the format I specified (docx or xml) without my saving the file in Pages or Numbers format? Or do I have to save it first in Pages or Numbers, and THEN Export?

If the Pages or Numbers files are in your documents folder and you then export them, an additional copy will be made w/ the appropriate file ending; again, just give a few a try - best way to learn.

3. If I receive a .rtf from someone, can I set it up to open in Pages rather than TextEdit? Or am I crazy?

Pages cannot import PDF or RTF documents - PDFs are read in Preview (or another PDF reader) and TextEdit as stated above can manipulate the RTF files. Dave :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Thanks for that! Always good to know. I am, of course, trying things, just wondering the underlying "logic," if you will.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.