emac power buton is broken

Reaction score
i just broke the power button for my emac and need it fixed by monday and the entire cord ripped in half and it cant power on and i need a way to start it up any ideas? and i was upgrading the hd by the way

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
An eMac is a very old computer and may be difficult to find parts. Go to www.ifixit.com and look up how to repair it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Can't you get an old Apple keyboard off eBay with the 'power button' key?

Never used an eMac but I know the iMacs I used at school could be started by that method. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Alternatively, re-solder the pins to the motherboard?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
@ tylerkmoore1:

Please stop posting multiple threads on this topic. And please stop posting what seems like every 5 minutes. If someone has a solution…they will post a reply.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you read my post, look at # 11. When the ring inside is broken no joy at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I suspect you removed the rear case and forgot to carefully remove the connector from the switch.

Most eMac's have been disposed of by now, and Apple long ago stopped supporting them.

If you have damaged the power switch and its connector, and possibly the connector on the logic board, there is only one way to repair. Buy a small momentary make push button switch, drill a hole in the case and mount it where it will not be obstructed when the case is refitted. Solder 2 strands of thin wire to the switch, leaving it long enough to solder to the logic power switch connector. As you refit the case coil up the excess cable. If you can't do this yourself someone with elementary electronics knowledge should be able to do this for you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect you removed the rear case and forgot to carefully remove the connector from the switch.

Ding Ding Ding…we have a winner!:) My thoughts as well.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
no i removed the case but the button was still intact and when i put the case back on it broke of the case and the pins broke too
i maneged to solder the wires back on and almost got it to turn on i heard the chime and the it turned off and its not the battery it was reading 3.5 like someone said on another post on someother site and its not the display/analog assembly beacuse the turn on too and then the entire thing shut off im suspecting a bad power cord

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
no i removed the case but the button was still intact and when i put the case back on it broke of the case and the pins broke too i maneged to solder the wires back on and almost got it to turn on i heard the chime and the it turned off and its not the battery it was reading 3.5 like someone said on another post on someother site and its not the display/analog assembly beacuse the turn on too and then the entire thing shut off…

Use some periods please!:)

...im suspecting a bad power cord

This theory should take about 5 seconds to test (with a 2nd power cord)!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
You know I saw a Emac at the thrift store the other day ...and walked away from it. If you plan to use older Macs you need a parts machine ..or 2 ..or may be 3. Stop Me! At least I walked on the Emac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.