I can't generate any new mailboxes on iPhone 6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
On my Win 7 PC I use Windows Live Mail. If I want to save emails that I received (or sent), I can save them in storage folders that I created. So I have created folders like Bob, Sis, AAA, OnStar, Internet Purchases, etc. So if I receive an email from sister, I can save it in the Sis folder.

I want to do the same thing on my iPhone 6. There I think they are called Mailboxes. When I try to create one, I get the error message 'Unable to create Mailbox on Server'.

I know that my iPhone has a problem with my mail server, because I have to read and certify the certificate, and iPhone then goes through a verification process. After that, all is good....I can send and receive email, but I just can't save it to a mailbox.

I would appreciate any help/guidance. Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried to create those mailboxes with your Mac and then see if they appear on your iPhone 6? I'm referring to creating the mailboxes from your iCloud IMAP account - which then should sync to your iPhone 6. Not sure if you want to do it that way, but it should work.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Have you tried to create those mailboxes with your Mac and then see if they appear on your iPhone 6? I'm referring to creating the mailboxes from your iCloud IMAP account - which then should sync to your iPhone 6. Not sure if you want to do it that way, but it should work.

Thanks for your response.

No, I would never have guessed to try that, but I will right now. I already had 10 unique mailboxes on my iMac (Friends, Neighbors, Family, etc.) that I created when I set up my iMac. But none of these mailboxes ever appeared on my iPhone or iPad.

So after reading your post and knowing that I didn't yet have an iCloud email account, what I just did was to open an @iCloud account (and sure enough I received the welcome email). I then thought, with the iCloud account now functional, I would try adding a few more mailboxes on my iMac. They created just fine and now appear under 'On My Mac' on the mailbox listing, along with the ones I previously created. But none appeared on my iPhone or iPad.

Did I miss a step, or does iOS just have problems with POP servers?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did I miss a step, or does iOS just have problems with POP servers?

iOS mail should work with both POP and IMAP, however, your iCloud account will only create as IMAP. Check System Preferences, iCloud, on your iMac to see if you have mail selected. Also, I'm sure you're already signed into iCloud with your Apple ID and password or otherwise it won't let you create an account.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iOS mail should work with both POP and IMAP, however, your iCloud account will only create as IMAP. Check System Preferences, iCloud, on your iMac to see if you have mail selected. Also, I'm sure you're already signed into iCloud with your Apple ID and password or otherwise it won't let you create an account.

Yes, Mail is selected. And it seems like every time I want to do something on my iMac, I am asked to enter the password associated with my Apple ID. Is there not a way to stay signed in?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I found a solution to my problem in a posting by GamerDogberd on the Apple Support Communities Forum. Here is what he said:
"FYI for anyone that it may help: In my experience the 'Unable to create Mailbox on server' message is caused by an incorrect IMAP Path Prefix. The default is "/" but if you are using shared virtual hosting it probably needs to be "INBOX" instead. When you look at your email account in Mail, if all the folders below Inbox {Drafts, Junk, Sent, Trash} are indented, this indicates the path is wrong. For iOS 7: from the Home screen, go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calendars > Your IMAP account > Account. Then, in the panel that pops up, tap Advanced, then go down to IMAP Path Prefix and type "INBOX" (case sensitive). Swap back over to Mail and the account should automatically update, and the folders will no longer be indented, and you should be able to create/delete folders (Apple calls them Mailboxes) to your heart's desire."

So now I can create Mailboxes on my iPhone. However, this solution doesn't work on my iPad because there is no IMAP Path Prefix, so I will have to pursue another approach.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got it fixed on my iPad also. Sometimes an Aggie can stumble out in the cow pasture and still come up smelling OK.

As I did on my iPhone, I first deleted my iPad mail account, since it was a POP. Then I started over and re-created my iPad mail account as an IMAP account, as that was the default setting. I got the account all set up, after which I was able to go to Settings > Mail,Contacts,Calendars > My IMAP account > Account. Then, in the panel that popped up, I tapped Advanced and once again found the IMAP Path Prefix and I typed in "INBOX".

So I ended up doing on my iPad the same as I did on my iPhone. I deleted my old account identified as a POP then re-created the account as a default IMAP account. Good old Aggie engineering......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Congratulations on your fix.

Now you can just relax in the pasture with everything working properly. Just keep an eye open for any nasty possessive bull. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congratulations on your fix.

Now you can just relax in the pasture with everything working properly. Just keep an eye open for any nasty possessive bull. ;)

Funny that you mentioned a nasty bull. Seven or so years ago my buddy and I were riding our Honda 4-wheelers up in the local mountains, across the creeks, and through the pastures. Both Honda's were red. We happened upon a little calf laying in the grass where his mama had left him. We stopped to take a couple of photos and failed to notice the bull that evidently was babysitting the calf. Well, here the bull came, running faster than we could drive. Since I always carry my pistol with me, I pulled it out and shot the.......

.......rear tire of my Buddy's 4-wheeler to slow it down. The bull made a mess of that machine, but I managed to drive away at a slow pace, and my buddy caught up with me running. The bull was still playing with his 4-wheeler. And that's no bull.......:Cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL!!! ;)

Are you sure you hadn't read this story before, in its shortened version here and escaped mainly due to the fact this doesn't mention, that she was actually such a lousy poor shot:

"Woman Saves Self from Grizzly Bear Attack With .25 Cal Pistol!

You don’t have to have a big gun if you think fast. This is a story of self control and marksmanship by a woman against a fierce predator. What is the smallest caliber you trust to protect yourself? How about the Beretta Jetfire .25 caliber?

Here is her story: "While out hiking in Alberta, Canada, my boyfriend and I were surprised by a huge grizzly bear that came out of the woods and was charging at us! She must have been protecting her cubs because she was extremely aggressive. Luckily, I had my little Beretta Jetfire with me, or I would not be here today. "A single shot to my boyfriend's knee cap was all it took. The bear got him and I was able to escape by walking away at a brisk pace. It's now the favorite pistol in my collection!
" "

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The gal in that story couldn't have been a Canadian.... Definition of a Canadian: Unarmed North American with health insurance. ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might be quite surprised with reality and we just don't rant and rave about our arms, but you're close, as anyone carrying anything smaller than a .38 is considered as "unarmed"!! ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.