Is there a way to require a password for iMessage?

Reaction score
Hello,

I use iMessage on my iPhone and MacBook Pro. It works great and it's easier on my wallet since it only uses WiFi instead of "texts" from my cellular plan.

I use an iMac at work. Currently, it uses the same Apple ID as the rest of our department's iMacs. I would like to use my Apple ID on it so that I can use my iMessages on my iMac, that way I don't have to swtich to my Macbook or my phone to view messages. It would just make for a better workflow if everything was on one screen.

My predicament is: these iMacs are generally used by one person, in this case me. But at sometimes others need to access our iMacs and use them to retrieve files while we are not here.
I don't want my personal iMessages to be viewed by my co-workers. I'm wondering if there is a solution/work-around to this problem.
Switching users wouldn't work because they would need access to ALL of my files.

My thought is to have a password that you need to use to launch iMessage. I wonder if there is a way to do that using scripts/automator or something I just haven't thought of or if anyone else has been put into a similiar situation and found a good solution.

EDIT: or maybe enabling and disabling the app.
Thanks for your time.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know who your employer is, but it's usually a rule that since the iMac belongs to your employer, it's only supposed to be used in conjunction with your job. In other words, don't use the iMac for personal iMessages and then you won't have to worry about others viewing your messages. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Not a good idea to have your iMessages showing up on a work computer. I know what you mean about helping for work flow as I do it on my work computer BUT I am an independent contractor. I own my work computers and no one gets on them as they are password protected. If I did not I would never allow personal messages to be on them. That is asking for trouble.

Put you iPhone where you can see it on your desk. I know typing replies are easier on a computer but for the sake of your privacy, use your iPhone.

Lisa

OP
O
Reaction score
I don't know who your employer is, but it's usually a rule that since the iMac belongs to your employer, it's only supposed to be used in conjunction with your job. In other words, don't use the iMac for personal iMessages and then you won't have to worry about others viewing your messages. ;D

This isn't an issue. A lot of messages are sent from co-worker to co-worker through texting. Allows us to communicate easier and quicker than calling. So we use our phones a lot. It just so happens that if that phone was connected to the iMac then the personal messages would show up along side the professional ones.

It's not a big issue. Just thought it would make for an easier workflow if someone had a solution to this problem already.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.