Missing Index.xml file

Reaction score
Hello all -
In my last posting I had asked about some strange things going on with my iMac after loading Yosemite 10.10.2. I talked about the blurred image of my wife's background and some suggested the Mac was getting on in the years, which it was.

I purchased a brand new shiny iMac about a month ago. Don't do a lot on the computer, a few small numbers spreadsheets, photos - stuff like that. I use numbers as a check book register. Last night I made a few entries and when I was completed, I logged off, not a shut down.

This morning I returned to the check register to make a correction and received the message - Check Book Could not be opened - Missing the Index.xml file. This is a brand new computer with 10.10.2 loaded from Apple and the latest and greatest Numbers, Pages, and KeyNotes. My first instinct is to take it back to Best Buy and have them look at it...Any suggestions?

PS - The blurred image of my wife's background picture is still there...Must be something in Yosemite...

Reaction score
What resolution is the image at? What size is it?

As far as the .xml file, you did save it when you finished right?

OP
F
Reaction score
Not sure on the resolution of the picture...at work right now and won't be back until this evening. How do I check? I'm no wizard when it comes to this stuff.

To answer the second question - Yes. I always save after completing any changes. That was kinda beatin' into me after years of using a PC at work. Tried going to my time machine and restoring numbers from last night. No luck. Then I went to utilities and did the Verify Disk Permissions then Repair Disk Permissions then Verify Disk then Repair Disk...

Am I screwed at this point?

Reaction score
OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks Cradom...I'll check out those links tonight. I understand what you're saying about the picture. When my wife is logged in the picture is very clear and sharp so I don't suspect pixilation or size to be the problem.
What I'm referring to is this. When I wake up the Mac, I see 3 login option; 1 for me, 1 for my wife and 1 for Guest. It's there that I see the fuzzy background of my wife's background photo. If I turn the Mac off completely, when it starts back up, it will be a default blurred image based on the background chosen in Preferences. This is what prompted me to purchase a new Mac...someone suggested that the screen (monitor) was going bad. Are you running Yosemite?
In ant event, thanks again for the link...I'll post back with what I did to fix or not fix...

Reaction score
Ok, that's how Yosemite is. the background of the login screen is the desktop of the last user and it's blurry. Don't know why, it just is. Feature of the cartoon OS I guess :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Ok, that's how Yosemite is. the background of the login screen is the desktop of the last user and it's blurry. Don't know why, it just is. Feature of the cartoon OS I guess :)

That's good to know Craig. I know it blurred the desktop picture as the background for the login screen but I didn't realize it used the desktop pattern from the last user. I have two user accounts but spend 90%+ of my time in one account.

OP
F
Reaction score
Craig...Thanks again for the explanation about the screen and the links you provided earlier did the trick. When I got home Pages, Numbers, and Key Notes are all IWorks 09. Left them in applications just brought the newer versions onto the dock :$

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.