Questions after my initial test run

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I am greatly enjoying getting to know my mac and the mac world more and more each day. However I have some questions as to why some things have happened during the first couple of days of getting my mbp.

1. I get this "my start up disk is running out" message every now and then

2. I've had iphoto lock up on me twice and I've also had an error come up. Something to the effect of "an error has occured when trying to save my photo library"

3. I had to restart my MBP due to a program (it was either garageband or iphoto) locking up and I couldn't force quit

4. When transfering my songs from my ipod to my MBP HD using senuti, at the end of the transfer my MBP itunes library was 52 song shorter than my ipod library. (I was thinking about just deleting the whole library and attempting it again, but that may be overkill)

5. I was transfering some photos from my camera into a folder. The beachball of death just hangs around for a good 10 minutes. I couldn't force quit b/c there was no program to quit. I ended up having to disconnect the camera. I uploaded it with iphoto and there were no problems.

I think that's it for the most part. This computer is lovely. It totally flys and does just about everything I could ask for and does it well. Just had some things arise during use and I was wondering if anyone had any explanations for them or ways to prevent/limit their occurances.

Thanks

:yinyang:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
1) how much space do you have left on your hd. If you put a large amount of photo's and music on there it could very possibly be true that your start up disk is running low.

2)I have never had this problem

3) How long did you wait after pushing the force quit button did you decide to reboot (sometimes you have to wait)

4)Just try it again.. don't know why it did that.. no need to delete the ones you have, just don't do duplicates

5)when this happens if you push force quit you can restart the finder. What kind of camera do you have? Does it do this every time you try to copy files or just that once?

OP
Mace
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
ok, here's what makes no sense to me...if I have a 30 gig Ipod and all the songs fit on there and when I look at my music folder it says 50gigs...coooonfused, lol.
plus a good 500 or so pictures are on the ipod too and it reads that I have 2.2gigs of space left.

So why the gi-normous increase in music hard drive real estate.

*edit: I deleted my entire music library. I downloaded podutil from ipodlounge.com to transfer the files again. When I emptied my trashcan it said "deleteing 17,000" files. I guess itunes copied the files after I originally copied them...but that doesn't explain why it missed 52...wild, lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.