Date and Time Problems

M

mada81

my imac G3 333 keeps resetng the date to 8/27/1957 and the time an hour ahead every time i unplug it but when its left pluged in. the date and time stays the same. what is going on and what do i need to do to fix this? I just upgraded the hard drive and ram in it and it worked great for a month untill it tells me that the date is off.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You need a new PRAM Battery. I have that same machine in Grape color. You will see the battery on the board. Some say Radio Shack has them, but they are higher cost than you will find on the internet.

Reaction score
Hi,

I Have The Same Problem With The Date And Time Of My Imac!!!
Its Not A Laptop,so It Dont Haves Battery And Still It Changes My Date And Hour Everytime,i Have Downloaded Many Antivirus But Nothing Helps,i Hope Someone Have The Solution For This,and Hopley Its Free To Download Hehehehe,thank Anyway

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hi,

I Have The Same Problem With The Date And Time Of My Imac!!!
Its Not A Laptop,so It Dont Haves Battery And Still It Changes My Date And Hour Everytime,i Have Downloaded Many Antivirus But Nothing Helps,i Hope Someone Have The Solution For This,and Hopley Its Free To Download Hehehehe,thank Anyway

The iMac we were talking about above is not a laptop either. Computers all have a battery for the Bios or in the case of a Mac, the PRAM. When that battery dies (and it does on every machine eventually) anything stored in the PRAM or Bios on a PC will be lost when the power is turned off.

Exactly which iMac do you own? Model? Specs? If you let us know that info we can point you to the battery and how to replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I think you need a 3.6 volt 1/2 AA battery, you can get that at RadioShack for a few bucks

did a quick google and got this:
iMac 333 computer system

but the best solution would be to take out the battery and take it to a store to get the same and exact one

Reaction score
the problem is i live in spain,and i wanted something that i can repair or donwload free. But thanks anyway,is it bad if i let it like this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
you of all people should know you can buy a battery in Spain :) and even where to get electronics near by .... I'm pretty sure every country has stores where you can buy a new battery ;)

you can't solve a battery problem with installing some software, the same as if you had a dead phone battery, you just have to replace it :)

and no, the computer won't blow up if you don't change your pram battery, but I think paying a few Euro is not that much for not being annoyed with the date and time everytime you turn on your computer :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
well, it's working isn't it? dtravis has already said it in his post above, the pram holds information like your time zone (along with other things), the battery supplies the pram with electricity to keep that info stored even when you unplug the computer

btw: Mac OS X: What's stored in PRAM

Reaction score
Deuh, I Know That Also In Spain They Sell Batterys,and I Let The Pc Like It Is,im Going To Sell It And Buy Me A New One,macintosh Sucks,im Srry I Say That,but It Is Old,you Can't Do Much Thinks!!!
Anyway Thanks For The Advice But Im Going To Buy Better A New Windows One,bye

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Fare thee well and see you later!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.