• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What do you want from a smart phone?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Due to a recent discussion with a friend about the advantages of a smart phone we came up with a list of indispensable features we considered justified buying a smart phone for:
Touch screen, no tiny multi function buttons to press.
Internet access,
Searchable contacts list,
Email,
SMS,
Calendar,
Camera and
an alarm.
Your average smart phone does much more than this but is it worth it? And do we really need it.
If anybody can add to the list of indispensables I'd love to hear back. What can't you do without on your smart phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Must have: apps: I use to use my iPad for all of these but now love using my iPhone.
notes - for all the lists I need to function semi-efficiently. ;)
audible (for listening to books when driving to work)
kindle (I read to avoid killing people while having to wait for what ever.) :eek:

Not a app but essential:
Excellent call sound. Can I hear them and can they hear me - clear and clean sound.

Ability to hold a call - no dropping - you can say it depends on the carrier but I can tell you phones are different and my iPhone has been the best hands down for not dropping calls in low signal areas.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
The things that matter most to me in a smartphone are as follows:

1. Removable battery. If the phone has some kind of problem, I like to be able to remove the battery and reset it. It's also nice to know that if I want to install a spare battery, I can. :)

2. Expandable micro SD card slot. So many phones these days seem to be veering away from this route, which makes me sad. I like to store photos and random podcasts on my SD card, and it's nice to be able to know that I can add more space if I want.

3. Being able to work anywhere in the world. With the amount of travelling I do, I like to save a little bit of money and get a sim card in my destination if it's somewhere I'm going to be staying for an extended period of time. There's something very satisfying about being able to swap sim cards and know that my phone will work once I switch it back on again. I also make sure the phone is factory unlocked as I've had issues in the past with phones I've unlocked myself.

C

chas_m

1. Removable battery. If the phone has some kind of problem, I like to be able to remove the battery and reset it. It's also nice to know that if I want to install a spare battery, I can. :)

Or maybe just buy a smartphone that doesn't need to be reset, and thus doesn't need to have its battery removed ... and has all-day battery life ... like an iPhone.

2. Expandable micro SD card slot.

SD cards = slloooow, prone to corruption, good way to pass on malware, easily losable, easily abused by others who find them. I prefer to buy a smartphone that has the capacity I'll need.

Being able to work anywhere in the world.

Yes, love this feature. Got my iPhone unlocked by the carrier after 90 days and use it all over the place. Works great.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
On top of Rod's and Lisa's items I would add a music player and lots of storage capacity. I like carrying my full library and it's about 70GB these days.

I also use maps extensively, and an offline satnav is also highly desirable as coverage isn't brilliant along motorways in parts of the UK.

Non-essential but highly desirable features include currency converters, live train times, mind map app and Sky+ integration (the ability to set a programme to record from anywhere is something I would definitely miss).

Being part of a well developed ecosystem is another important factor for me, and iPhone is still top-dog in this respect although Android had improved significantly in this regard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The same call quality I had on my old cellular phones that had external antennas. That would be useful on a phone. And a death ray.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
(Wrong thread)

C

chas_m

2. Expandable micro SD card slot. So many phones these days seem to be veering away from this route, which makes me sad. I like to store photos and random podcasts on my SD card, and it's nice to be able to know that I can add more space if I want.

No Galaxy S6 for you then. :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No Galaxy S6 for you then. :)

I was hoping someone would bring that one up! :D

The S6 is Samsungs iPhone except it's even harder to get to the battery if it did die. iPhones are much easier. :D

I especially liked Lisa's list but others brought up some interesting uses also. I report Gas prices in my area and need a good Database that is easy to edit while RIDING in a car. My iPhone has such an app that works great.

Like was said above, Excellent Call Quality. Also I like a phone that hangs in there when the signal gets weak and even my old iPhone 3gs hangs in there even in the mountains between where I live and the San Fransicso/Silicon Valley area. I have never lost a call or signal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

Before the iPhone came along, I thought this mattered to me. In practice, I very rarely ever did an actual battery swap. Also, the little door on the back for the battery compartment would start popping off every time I looked in its general direction. When the iPhone came along, I was thankful to never deal with that again. Of course some people drain their battery faster than others do, and plugging in to an outlet or dock throughout the day may not be convenient or even possible. For people lilke these, there are portable battery chargers, and Mophie even makes a case that doubles as an extended battery.

As for resetting... that's what the hard reset is for. Hold down the two buttons in order and wait a few seconds. Easier and faster than popping the battery. And no battery compartment cover that will fall off every time you sneeze.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For my own essentials... access to a music streaming service. Not just any... services that I like. I've only recently started using Spotify, and am very angry at myself for dragging my feet for so long on trying them, but also like Slacker Radio. I've been finding these preferable to toting all my music along and "limiting" myself to what I have, though I still keep a handful of favorite artists' albums on my iPhone.

Other essentials... notes; a "converter" app; maps (better said... a couple alternatives to Apple's Maps); "what's near me" apps (very useful when traveling); alarm clock; weather app; fitness apps (RunKeeper or the like; an app for recording workout routines at the gym; guides like AllTrails); photos (apps to take, view, and share, which of course are standard); calendar (no need to have an "appointment card" for, say, a followup doctor visit... I plug it into my phone while standing at the desk making the appointment); contacts. There are plenty of non-essentials, of course, but all these are pretty much must-haves once you start using them and appreciate the convenience they bring.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And Spotify is running their try Premium for 3 months for $0.99 to try and beat Apple to the the lazy Apple users that have not signed onto a service yet before Apple gives theirs away free for 3 months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And Spotify is running their try Premium for 3 months for $0.99 to try and beat Apple to the the lazy Apple users that have not signed onto a service yet before Apple gives theirs away free for 3 months.

I just wish they had a cheaper premium plan. Slacker has a $4 tier that would suit me fine if Spotify had a comparable one. For $10/month, I'm happy enough with the rare ads Spotify runs. There are fewer ads than on any over-the-air radio station and the music is far more diverse.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, I've been taking a trip down the '69-'70 memory lane this morning - Only one I've not found thus far is no King Crimson...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.