Two "send" boxes

Reaction score
Yahoo and Apple mail have two "send" mailboxes. Why are there two, and can I combine them into one? It's sometimes confusing to look for Sent messages in two places.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They are already combined if you select "Sent" under "Mailboxes" instead of opening 'Sent' and selecting them individually.

OP
S
Reaction score
Apple and Yahoo mail.

I have two separate Sent boxes with completely different messages in each, seemingly assigned at random. One is under the Mailboxes list at the left-hand top; the other is under the list of Yahoo folders farther down. This is a fairly recent problem. Could it be a Yahoo issue?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's been that way as far back as I can remember.

If you don't want to look at them separately, don't look at the individual ones at the bottom.
Move your cursor over the ones at the bottom and you'll find the option to either Hide or Show them.
Everything can be seen combined at the top under Messages.
Could be, you are only just now discovering the multiple options you have for viewing your email with the Mail app.
Don't like those options, don't use them.

They are not assigned at random, they are assigned based on which email address you select to use when sending them.

edit:
You can also select any sent email in the list - hover your cursor over your name at the top of the email which will cause it to highlight and an arrow will appear.
Click on that arrow and you will find a list of the email addresses you have used with a check next to the one used to send that particular email.

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Two sent boxes.

It's been that way as far back as I can remember.

If you don't want to look at them separately, don't look at the individual ones at the bottom.
Move your cursor over the ones at the bottom and you'll find the option to either Hide or Show them.
Everything can be seen combined at the top under Messages.
Could be, you are only just now discovering the multiple options you have for viewing your email with the Mail app.
Don't like those options, don't use them.

They are not assigned at random, they are assigned based on which email address you select to use when sending them.

edit:
You can also select any sent email in the list - hover your cursor over your name at the top of the email which will cause it to highlight and an arrow will appear.
Click on that arrow and you will find a list of the email addresses you have used with a check next to the one used to send that particular email.

I use the same email address for everything. Each folder has a different set of messages. I'll work with it some more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.