Unable to Log in to Administrator Account

Reaction score
Mac Power book 2007 running Mac OSX 10.5.8, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

After attempting to open a file (from a reliable government website) Computer froze up. Force shut it down.
After restarting, startup would begin stuck on blue or grey screen? Fan sounded like it was working overtime.
Did A Parameter restart. Log in screen appeared. Attempted to log in to my admin user. Pass word entered, appeared to start loaded the desktop then went straight back to log in screen. Was able to log in to a non admin user successfully. And subsequent attempts to log in to admin user account, go the same, it begins to load then returns to log in screen. Is there a way to access the files on the admin account or transfer the contents to an external hard drive? or is it likely the admin user account and its contents will no longer be available?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your 2007 Mac Power Book is a 2007 MacBook Pro as there are no 2007 Power Books. Do you have a backup of your data? If you have no backup you may be able to create a new Admin account using single user mode and then try to access the data in the old account.

How to create a new Admin account from single user mode

Copy what data you need quickly since you may be battling a flaky hard drive that could quit any time. ;D

OP
J
Reaction score
Unfortunately Had not backed up my data in awhile. Ill have to try that new admin account creation. Still strange that It only affected the one admin user and not the data on the guest user that I had on there. Thanks for the reply!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.