Clamshell mode problem: laptop screen still active

Reaction score
Hi folks

I have a somewhat unusual problem. When running my Mac Air in clamshell mode, it still thinks its own screen is active. The laptop's screen is turned off, but when I move my mouse around the external monitor, it can drift off into the (closed, dark) monitor of the laptop itself. When I open Displays in the System preferences, it clearly thinks both screens are active.

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions on handling it?

Thanks in advance.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Try rebooting the computer.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Try rebooting the computer.

- Nick

Thanks Nick, I should have said upfront that I have already tried rebooting, to no avail.

The problem appeared quite recently, so I wonder if there's an obscure setting somewhere that's somehow breaking this -- but I can't figure out what it would be.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, I should have said upfront that I have already tried rebooting, to no avail.

When you rebooted…was the MacBook Air's display closed & the external monitor connected?

- Nick

Reaction score
Stupid question...
You are in mirrored mode right?

OP
C
Reaction score
Stupid question...
You are in mirrored mode right?

Not a stupid question! I'm not in mirrored mode, and I'm aware that I could use that to fix this -- but I often unplug my Mac from my desk and plug it into an external projector, at which point I don't want mirroring. Until now, I've never used mirrored mode, and this problem didn't happen... so I was hoping to find another solution.

(You'd imagine the system would be clever enough to *not* detect the laptop's screen when it's in clamshell mode... it certainly used to manage this!)

But maybe ticking the 'mirror' option and just messing with system preferences every time I connect to and disconnect from a projector is the easiest way to fix this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not in mirrored mode, and I'm aware that I could use that to fix this --

Give it a try. The goal at the moment is to find a solution to the current problem.:) Let's worry about what happens later…later.:)

(You'd imagine the system would be clever enough to *not* detect the laptop's screen when it's in clamshell mode... it certainly used to manage this!)

It usually is/does!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Give it a try. The goal at the moment is to find a solution to the current problem.:) Let's worry about what happens later…later.:)

Good point, well made. :)

And usually.when someone connects to an external projector.you want to be in "mirror-mode".since you want the external project or to mirror what's on the computer display.:)

Yeah, I prefer to work without mirroring, but it's not a wildly big deal to mess with system settings each time I connect to / disconnect from a projector. And this does solve the problem!

It usually is/does!:)

- Nick

Gotta love technology, eh ;)

My thanks to both of you for your suggestions and help with this issue. As a forum n00b, I very much appreciate the rapid and helpful responses :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotta love technology, eh ;)

My thanks to both of you for your suggestions and help with this issue. As a forum n00b, I very much appreciate the rapid and helpful responses :)

Please let its know if changing to mirror mode setting helps. I run my 17" MacBook Pro in both extended desktop mode and clamshell mode (alternate between the two) all the time (almost never just use the MBP's built-in display only). And as far as I know…have not run into this trouble.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
And I assume all the requirements and quirks have been double checked??
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201834

Next, try a Safe Boot to possibly eliminate any non-Apple software that could be causing the problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Please let its know if changing to mirror mode setting helps. I run my 17" MacBook Pro in both extended desktop mode and clamshell mode (alternate between the two) all the time (almost never just use the MBP's built-in display only). And as far as I know…have not run into this trouble.

- Nick

Yep, as expected mirror mode solves the problem. I've been running various Macs in extended desktop mode and clamshell for over a decade, and it's the first time I've run into this issue, too!

Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.