Mission control desktop created on every startup

Reaction score
Hello!

I have noticed that for months on end now, everytime I turn on my Mac Mini, a new desktop is created (accessed via Mission Control). As you can see from the snapshots before and after a restart below - this is getting rather ridiculous - and I'm sure it can't be doing many favours for speeds too.

Btw - pretty sure it occurs on every startup - can't be 100% sure though.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Pic links:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!ABxALot_NtgcIJQ&v=3&ithint=photo,png

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AFRmaLHns_pqYGM&v=3&ithint=photo,png

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Last edited:
OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Tried that, still does the same. I tried loads of combos of methods of logging in, and found some interesting results - any ideas please?

-Switch user (via Fast User Switching menu and main login menu) -> No issue

-Restart or shutdown (with and without reopen last windows selected) -> ISSUE! A desktop is created!

-Log out & login from main login menu or from other user's Fast User Switching menu WITH another user logged in -> No issue

-Log out & login from main login menu WITHOUT another user logged in -> ISSUE! A desktop is created!

Please note that the last two results above are inconsistent

Reaction score
Lets start from scratch...
Delete all desktops but one. Log out/in. Did it make one?
Restart in safe mode (hold down shift til Desktop). Did it make one?

Reaction score
Sounds to me like it is user specific. When logged into your account, go to system preferences, users and groups, login items and see what is listed there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.