Do I Need To Delete Bootcamp Partition Before A Time Machine System Restore?

Reaction score
Hello - anyone familiar with this scenario.

I have used TIME MACHINE from the very first day I had my iMac. So it was started almost immediately after the initial boot of a brand new iMac in case I ever needed to restore my Mac to that initial Day 1 state.

That day has come, but it's now two years, and in that time I have installed BOOTCAMP, Parallels and Windows 7. That process created another partition, and created the required 'links' between my OSX and Windows via Parallels etc.

So my question is this - can I do a 'Restore from Time Machine' over the top of the new partitioned set up of my iMac OR or will it be now totally confused because of the changes I have made to my system in that time, and do I firstly need to remove Windows, Bootcamp, and erase the partitions I created back to one.

So in summary - will Time Machine do this when it restores, or do I need to do it before I restore?

I also have a CARBON COPY CLONE from Day 1 too. Am I better using that instead - and if so, same question - will i need to remove Windows, and my Bootcamped partition first?

(My system is iMac late 2012 still running OSX Mountain Lion if that makes any difference)

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
If you undertake a full Time Machine restore, it will erase and restore your OS X partition only. It will not have any effect on your separate Boot Camp partition, you do not need to remove the Windows partition. If it is functioning it will still be after a Time Machine Restore. Only use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove it if you no longer need Windows.

OP
P
Reaction score
If you undertake a full Time Machine restore, it will erase and restore your OS X partition only. It will not have any effect on your separate Boot Camp partition, you do not need to remove the Windows partition. If it is functioning it will still be after a Time Machine Restore. Only use the Boot Camp Assistant to remove it if you no longer need Windows.

Thanks for this. So I guess what I am trying to do is restore my system to be exactly as it was out of the box when i first had it. From what you say my Time Machine restore will not acheive that then - and leave any partitions I created on the system?

So what is best action to take to get my mac completely restored as it was the day I had it. (eg before I partioned with Bootcamp and installed Windows). As I say, I have a full Time Machine history from Day 1 - I have a Bootable Carbon Copy Clone from Day 1, and I also have a bootable recovery USB from Day 1?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have no idea why you think you need to restore your iMac as it was on day one? OS X is not Windows. However, if you wish:

1. Use the Boot Camp assistant to remove your Boot Camp partition. That will restore the hard drive space back to the Macintosh HD.

2. Use your Time Machine backup or the Carbon Copy Cloner backup to restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.