zues malware detected on my macbook air

Reaction score
hello . my computer became very slow and was acting erratic at times. i called apple they took over my computer and scan my computer some how . the zues malware was detected . they also showed me logs where un authorized persons where compromising my machine. then they said they will fix it but only if i purchase apple care for lifetime 399.00 i don't have that kind of cash right now . so either I'm going to attempt to remove this myself or just keep this computer offline until i can save for the funds. if anyone is familiar with this problem. i sure cold use guidance as i am not versed in this area.

OP
M
Reaction score
weird, maybe true

apple also said no matter what i try to do . they are the only ones that can fix this. the person i spoke to said "what is this avast you have . we will erase that you don't need that . we don't trust avast". as well as scanning with avast i used admedic,and clamxam, neither of these detected zues malware as detected by apple associate.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i called apple they took over my computer and scan my computer some how . the zues malware was detected . they also showed me logs where un authorized persons where compromising my machine. then they said they will fix it but only if i purchase apple care for lifetime 399.00 i don't have that kind of cash right now . so either I'm going to attempt to remove this myself or just keep this computer offline until i can save for the funds. if anyone is familiar with this problem. i sure cold use guidance as i am not versed in this area.

I'm pretty sure you didn't talk with Apple. I bet that what you're dealing with is "ransomware". This is where you get a webpage that you cannot close or navigate away from. And usually there's a phone number given that you're supposed to call.

The main reason why you didn't speak with Apple. Apple would NEVER say..buy Applecare…then we'll fix it. It doesn't work that way. NO COMPANY says "Buy our warranty…then we'll fix it!" If you had paid that $399…it would have gone into someone's wallet…and not into purchasing Applecare.

And by the way…no Applecare plan I'm aware of costs $399 for a MacBook Air (at least not in U.S. dollars).

This is not legitimate.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'll just repeat the above:

You were not talking to Apple - It is a scam - quit talking to whomever that is.

edit:
Oh yeah, there is no such thing as lifetime "Applecare". Apple does not sell such a thing.

edit 2:
Another thing, the Zeus malware is Windows ony - it cannot run on OS X.

edit 3:
You are never allowed to ever again call any phone # you see from any popup window on your computer.

edit 4:
No one at any legitimate electronics repair or tech service would ever make the claim that they are the "only" ones that can fix your computer. What a bunch of hooey.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
i hear yah.

it seemed off to me aswell .what i did was googled apple support to get the phone number. to inquire about this issue twice . second time was to try to make sense of this. what confuses me is i thought i had used the right number. i would love to talk to an actual tech from apple.. assuming i was miss lead perhaps through web search. i would love to receive an actual phone number . maybe you can supply me with that.

p.s. i didn't get the number from a pop up or an email. it was on my own search.

thank you for your attention.

M

MacInWin

Go to Apple.com, or whatever the URL is for your location, then Support and Contact Us. There you should find a number to call. Don't google, don't search, just to go Apple.

OP
M
Reaction score
thank you !

So .... following the advise of the patrons here was very helpful. the deception of certain companies is unbelievable. i made the mistake of searching for the number on google. going to apple.com and finding out first hand was reassuring . it was a typical scare tactic i fell victim to, played out by thieves. thankfully. i didn't give them any money as i walked right into there trap. if some one tells you you have something malicious on your mac, as stated above go to apple.com and get there support info directly, they will make sure you understand and feel comfortable with the status of your problem. thanks again

p.s. if it does not seem right, it probably isn't. BE CAREFUL .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Most of us know all about this ransomware. Download and run AdWareMedic over your Mac, then download AdBlockPlus and Ghostery to control these pests.

And remember there are no viruses for Mac OS X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.