Can Contacts be Transferred from Flip Phone to iPhone 6

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
I recently purchased an iPhone 6. My old phone is an LG-A340 flip-top phone. To transfer my many Contacts, the AT&T store actually removed the Sim card from the LG and cut in down in size to fit in the iPhone.

Although this transferred many of my Contacts, it really hosed the data. In fact, at the end alphabetically following the W listings, there were about 25 phone numbers without names.

The Contacts still exist on my old phone. Is there a way to transfer these Contacts to my new iPhone?

Thanks in advance...........

Reaction score
Does your old phone use a micro SD card?
Also does the iphone use one, I don't know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well I just had fun looking on the AT&T site for information. Seems they only offer having you come in and they do it or retype them yourself. Since you already had the "fun" of having them do it, typing them in by hand sounds like all they suggest. I don't now about you but it does not sound like fun to me.

I assume from what I read there is no way to save them in the cloud. I use google for my calendar and contacts which has allowed me to transfer from android based to iOS based seamlessly.

Unless someone else has some magic or you can figure out a cloud backup you might be left with typing them in.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Contacts still exist on my old phone. Is there a way to transfer these Contacts to my new iPhone?

This is how I did it from an old flip phone to my iPhone: I was able to export the contacts on my old flip phone (T-Mobile) to VCF format. Then all I did was import the VCF file into my contacts on my Mac. Then synced via iCloud to my iPhone and also to my wife's.

See if your flip phone can export contacts via VCF format. You may be able to do it by attaching your flip phone to your Mac via USB. Otherwise you'll to do the manual thing as suggested by Lisa. If you do have to insert them manually, don't do it on your iPhone, do it on your Mac (it's faster and easier) and then sync via iCloud.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
Does your old phone use a micro SD card?
Also does the iphone use one, I don't know?

I know that both have what is called a SIM card. The AT&T Tech first made sure that all my Contacts were contained on the SIM card in my old phone. She then removed the SIM card, took some scissors/cutter and literally trimmed the back edge of the SIM card so it would insert into my new iPhone. Sorta like taking the rear bumper off my car so it will fit in the garage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know that both have what is called a SIM card. The AT&T Tech first made sure that all my Contacts were contained on the SIM card in my old phone. She then removed the SIM card, took some scissors/cutter and literally trimmed the back edge of the SIM card so it would insert into my new iPhone. Sorta like taking the rear bumper off my car so it will fit in the garage.

I find that so... funny? unbelievable? strange? That it even worked a little is more than I would have expected.

Try what chscag suggested and see if you can export using VCF. Unless the tech mangled the sim card too much that it is unreadable in your old phone.

Lisa

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is how I did it from an old flip phone to my iPhone: I was able to export the contacts on my old flip phone (T-Mobile) to VCF format. Then all I did was import the VCF file into my contacts on my Mac. Then synced via iCloud to my iPhone and also to my wife's.

See if your flip phone can export contacts via VCF format. You may be able to do it by attaching your flip phone to your Mac via USB. Otherwise you'll to do the manual thing as suggested by Lisa. If you do have to insert them manually, don't do it on your iPhone, do it on your Mac (it's faster and easier) and then sync via iCloud.
What a great idea...........I will try it. I haven't used iCloud yet, but I can certainly learn it (or I will be back with questions :D).

The manual thing is what the 2nd AT&T Tech recommended when I went back in this morning. He offered to do it all on my iPhone. I let him type about 5 names & numbers, but I figured I had rather type it in myself than watch him.

But how exactly do I enter my Phone Contacts on my Mac? If I click on the Contacts icon, I get a screen that shows I don't have any iCloud cards but that I do have Contacts on my Mac; however, these Mac Contacts are the ones for my email and they don't all include phone numbers.

So if I have to type in names/numbers for my iPhone, should I do it via the iCloud cards and then sync the Mac to the iPhone?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I find that so... funny? unbelievable? strange? That it even worked a little is more than I would have expected.

Try what chscag suggested and see if you can export using VCF. Unless the tech mangled the sim card too much that it is unreadable in your old phone.

Lisa

Yea, technology has come a long way.......it sounds like the Tech whacked off a few names. But in my old phone, the Tech did make sure that all my numbers also existed on the phone itself, as well as on the mangled card that she then inserted into the iPhone.

To get my old phone to still work, she did have to insert a new blank SIM card, which she did. So now I can see all my contacts on my old phone......I just hope I can do the VCF export.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you turn on iCloud on both your mac and iphone and check contacts they will sync. So when you type a contact on you mac it will transfer to your iphone automatically. You can do this for other apps too like messages/texts, calendar, and more. Just go to System Perferences - > iCloud on the mac and on the iphone - Settings -> iCloud.

Lisa

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

OK, I'm back with some comments and questions. I hope you will bear with me, because I really don't want to screw this up. First of all, my old phone won't export contacts in VCF format. So I will have to manually enter those names/numbers. And, as you advised, I prefer to do this on my Mac keyboard.

But I don't know exactly how to do this.When I click on the Contacts icon on my Mac, I get a screen that shows I didn't have any iCloud cards but that I did have Contacts on my Mac; however, these Mac Contacts are the ones for my email and they don't include phone numbers.

Which brings me to a real concern. There seems to be two Contacts list, and I don't want to get the two mixed up. There is the list that contains all the names and email addresses. I imported this months ago from my Win 7 PC. When I click on the Contacts icon on my Mac, this email list is shown under 'All on My Mac".

Then there is the list of phone numbers that I'm trying to get into my new iPhone6. These two lists are different, and I don't want the email address list on my phone.

Just to experiment with your suggestion, I typed in 7 names and phone numbers using my Mac, and these appeared as iCloud cards. But now I'm afraid to sync with my iPhone for fear that I will screw up my email list. So what exactly will happen when I sync? Thanks much..........

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just to experiment with your suggestion, I typed in 7 names and phone numbers using my Mac, and these appeared as iCloud cards. But now I'm afraid to sync with my iPhone for fear that I will screw up my email list. So what exactly will happen when I sync? Thanks much..........

Unfortunately, it's an all or nothing thing. Whatever you enter into your contacts app on your Mac and then sync via iCloud, is going to wind up on your iPhone 6 in "contacts". And I mean everything including what notes you've made to your contacts.

For me this is an advantage since I make notes for many of my contacts. For example, the hours that the veterinarian clinic is open, or the email addresses of friends and so forth. It's up to you of course, but if you need to keep those lists separate, do not sync them via iCloud.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you turn on iCloud on both your mac and iphone and check contacts they will sync. So when you type a contact on you mac it will transfer to your iphone automatically. You can do this for other apps too like messages/texts, calendar, and more. Just go to System Perferences - > iCloud on the mac and on the iphone - Settings -> iCloud.

Lisa
Lisa, thanks for your response.

In my long-winded questions/concerns expressed above to chscag, I have two contacts lists. I have a very extensive list of names & email addresses; this list doesn't even contain phone numbers. Then I have the contacts list that I'm trying to get from my old phone to my iPhone, even if I have to retype this phone list.

But I don't want to get the two lists mixed up. When I go to send an email, I want to invoke the email list, not the phone list. And when I make a phone call, I don't want to see the email addresses.

Is it possible to have the two lists? This has never been a problem before, because I never tried to put a phone list on a computer. My phone list was always on my phone, and my email address list was always on my computer.

So what in the world will I end up with if I sync using iCloud? Am I missing something?

Thanks.........

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, it's an all or nothing thing. Whatever you enter into your contacts app on your Mac and then sync via iCloud, is going to wind up on your iPhone 6 in "contacts". And I mean everything including what notes you've made to your contacts.

For me this is an advantage since I make notes for many of my contacts. For example, the hours that the veterinarian clinic is open, or the email addresses of friends and so forth. It's up to you of course, but if you need to keep those lists separate, do not sync them via iCloud.

Thanks for your response. Your last sentence clarified everything for me. I guess I just need to keep the lists separate. I don't even have the phone numbers for many people on my email list, nor email addresses for everyone on my phone list. Some people I like to talk with, and others I only want to write. ;D

Thanks again for all your help.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you look on your iPhone and see what "Groups" you have available to sync with? I think, but I'm not sure, that you will be able to uncheck the "On My Mac" group so it will not sync to your phone Contacts. I only have All iCloud listed in my Groups, but I remember having the On My Mac list before I merged them into one. I did that before I got my iPhone, so I don't know if it's an option.

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't see where I could create/manage groups directly on my iPhone without the use of a 3rd party app like 'Address Book Plus', which I may look into. But please realize that I am just learning all my Apple products after using Windows-based PCs and flip-top phones for many years. Surrounding me right now are an iMac, iPad, iPhone, iPod, and the User Guides for each. Plus this excellent forum.....

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have another question about my two contacts lists - the one currently residing on my Mac that contains names/email addresses/home addresses/notes, and the one currently residing on my old phone that contains just names/phone numbers.

Will these two lists somehow merge if I synced my iMac and my iPhone? If so, would this merged list then be usable to me to send email and to make phone calls? And how would I go about merging the two lists?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have another question about my two contacts lists - the one currently residing on my Mac that contains names/email addresses/home addresses/notes, and the one currently residing on my old phone that contains just names/phone numbers.

Will these two lists somehow merge if I synced my iMac and my iPhone? If so, would this merged list then be usable to me to send email and to make phone calls? And how would I go about merging the two lists?

The two contact lists will merge as one if you sync your Mac with your new iPhone 6 that contains the list with just the names and phone numbers. As far as the combined contact list being usable to send email and make phone calls, I don't see why not. That's exactly how I have my contact list setup including notes.

The two lists will merge automatically if you use iCloud to sync between your iPhone and the Mac. That's assuming everything you need for making calls currently exist on your new iPhone. If not, you'll need to key any missing contacts in your Mac contacts (easier on the Mac) list so they will sync. I know it may sound a bit confusing right now but once you have your contacts setup using iCloud you'll see how easy it is to keep up with.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note first that the link provided in member ferrarr's reply is from April 2012 and refers to Address Book (now Contacts app) and in my opinion can be more difficult to setup than just using iCloud syncing with the new iCloud drive (iOS 8). However, if it's something that you think you can make work, give it a try.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The two contact lists will merge as one if you sync your Mac with your new iPhone 6 that contains the list with just the names and phone numbers. As far as the combined contact list being usable to send email and make phone calls, I don't see why not. That's exactly how I have my contact list setup including notes.

The two lists will merge automatically if you use iCloud to sync between your iPhone and the Mac. That's assuming everything you need for making calls currently exist on your new iPhone. If not, you'll need to key any missing contacts in your Mac contacts (easier on the Mac) list so they will sync. I know it may sound a bit confusing right now but once you have your contacts setup using iCloud you'll see how easy it is to keep up with.

I know that you are getting tired of discussing this subject with me. But you of all people should know that with Aggies, you gotta draw pictures. I just spent about 3 hours entering all the names/phone numbers into my new iPhone (since I couldn't transfer them from my old flip-top), so I really don't want to screw things up at this point.

So let me take an example of my data, and then ask you to please describe what my merged file of Contacts would then look like.

On my iPhone, I used the All Contacts screen to enter my data. I kept the data to a minimum, since I am only going to use this list to make phone calls. For example, here is a typical entry:
First/Last Name: John Oliver
Company: Harley Repair Shop in Drasco
Home: (501) 729-1234; Mobile (501) 834-9876

Now, the Contacts on my iMac (transferred from my Win 7 PC a couple of years ago) looks something like this. It appears on the All Contacts screen under the heading All on My Mac. I only use this Contacts list for emailing.
Name: John Oliver
Phone: (missing for most entries)
Work: [email protected]
Note: John is one of the best Harley mechanics. His wife's name is Patty.
On my PC, this Contacts list includes other fields (e.g., addresses), but I chose not to export all the fields to my Mac.

So what is my merged file going to look like for my friend John?

Thanks again...........

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The entry above that you gave as an example will include (after merging with sync):

First/Last Name: John Oliver

Company: Harley Repair Shop in Drasco

Home: (501) 729-1234

Mobile (501) 834-9876

email Work: [email protected]

Note: John is one of the best Harley mechanics. His wife's name is Patty.

You can change the order of the above info around a bit but generally it will be in the order of how the contacts list is setup on your Mac. What appears on your iPhone 6 will more or less mirror what's on the Mac. Which is why it's easier to make all the entries on the Mac (larger screen, better keyboard).

Also, some of the categories can be moved around depending on how you want them to appear. For example - you may want a work phone number to be first. Or you may have a contact who only owns a mobile phone, no home phone. Or someone who has two email addresses.

I think once you play around with your contacts app on the Mac and get it the way you want, you'll be able to use the combined list for your phone contacts in addition to mail. I personally like to make notes after all my contacts; little reminders, even some door combos that I need to remember.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's what I was hoping. By syncing, the two Contacts lists will be merged and then reside on my iPhone and iMac. So if I want to phone John, I simply click on his number on my iPhone. And if I want to email him, I simply click on his address.

I assume this syncing on iCloud serves a 2nd purpose......backing up my Contacts? And should I go ahead and upgrade to iCloud Drive (both my iPhone and iPad are running iOS 8.2)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.