MacBook Pro - To wait or not to wait?

S

Spicky

Hi!

I'm new to this forum and new to buying a Mac (presently a pc user). I am seriously considering buying the MacBook Pro but have become really sceptical reading the various teething problems that obviously exist (whining noices, problems with wireless, screen flickers etc.).

I've been reading endless forum threads where people have been trying to make out that these problems are not really a problem and they've discovered the perfect work around etc etc. I dont see why I should have to work around anything! I want my new Mac to work perfectly with no probs. Is that expecting too much??

Like most potential buyers out there, one question is playing on my mind:

To buy now and hope I'm lucky or wait and how long for??

Thanks

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

One question you should be asking your self... What are you going to use the computer for? If you want web browsing, email, photo editing, word processor, powerpoint = basic computing tasks. It really doesnt matter if you get the intel vs G4 chip. Personally i would get the intel chip and take a risk sure it has a lot of updates and small fixes but in the long run if you want to keep your computer for 5 or more years it will be better. If you want to keep your computer for less than 4 years and you want basically something with relatively no bugs and no trouble get a G4 Powerbook and hurry they dont make them anymore and they only have what is left in stock. And for the price now on the powerbook its a good deal you can get my $2,600 powerbook that i bought last year for about $1,700.

OP
O

oo3

the overheating can be simply solved by purchasing a laptop cooling fan. got one for my mbp and it doesn't get that hot at all. i can use it for hours and not worry about overheating.

i've had my mbp for about a month and i've had no problems whatsoever. you just have to know that it's a first generation so there might be problems. but i haven't had a single one.

OP
S

Spicky

Hey!

The whine issue as well as airport stability problems is really putting me off going out and getting a MBP although this is the machine I want. I want my first mac experience to be a good one!

How long do these things normally take to get ironed out? Apple is obviously not going to come out and admit something and most likely any fixes will take place on the quiet. How is someone to know if these things have been resolved?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
Spicky said:
The whine issue as well as airport stability problems is really putting me off going out and getting a MBP although this is the machine I want. I want my first mac experience to be a good one!

How long do these things normally take to get ironed out? Apple is obviously not going to come out and admit something and most likely any fixes will take place on the quiet. How is someone to know if these things have been resolved?

Mine gets warm, but no warmer than my g4 Powerbook
I have little to no whine
my airport is amazing and 2 x as strong as my g4 powerbooks

I ordered mine on Feb 11th, if that helps... and its great.

OP
S

Spicky

Hey!!

Nice to hear some people actually having a good experience with their MBP!!

Keep it up, let's have some more positive comments people, keep the flag flying high!!! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
Spicky said:
Hey!!

Nice to hear some people actually having a good experience with their MBP!!

Keep it up, let's have some more positive comments people, keep the flag flying high!!! :p
I'm not sure how inspirational this is, but I'd like to tell you a story :)

Back when I first picked up my set of Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers, I was an avid reader of their forums. You wouldn't believe how many posts there were about problems and whatnot. Turned out, that all those "issues" really only made up less than 1% of all the units that were shipped out. Even knowing that, I was still skeptical due to the lack of positive reviews. A half dozen of my friends own the same speakers (we all bought 'em within a few weeks of each other... call it a contagious disease if you will). We all waited nervously for the day when our speakers would have the same problem that "everyone" else was having. It's been almost 5 years, and all our sets are still running strong.

I think I even posted this on another forum--for every person who is posting about their problem, chances are there's 20 people out there with not problem, and therefore no driving force to find a forum to post asking for help/suggestions.

Moral of my story: People are much more likely to post about problems, rather than post words of praise. I have my MBP ordered and I can't wait til it gets here in a couple weeks. If it has problems, then I'll deal with that then and consider myself one of the unlucky few, but I'm confident I'll be in 7th heaven.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
well if i wasnt saving up my money and i had the oppertunity to buy the macbook pro i would wait until leopard comes out.. new system.. new operating system.. its all new

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
slyydrr said:

Back when I first picked up my set of Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers, I was an avid reader of their forums. You wouldn't believe how many posts there...

exactly great post.
That is why I am trying to make a point of defending this machine, cause I think it is amazing and the world would be a better place if everyone could have one ;).

OP
S

Spicky

slyydrr said:

Back when I first picked up my set of Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 speakers, I was an avid reader of their forums. You wouldn't believe how many posts there were about problems and whatnot. Turned out, that all those "issues" really only made up less than 1% of all the units that were shipped out. Even knowing that, I was still skeptical due to the lack of positive reviews. A half dozen of my friends own the same speakers (we all bought 'em within a few weeks of each other... call it a contagious disease if you will). We all waited nervously for the day when our speakers would have the same problem that "everyone" else was having. It's been almost 5 years, and all our sets are still running strong.

I think I even posted this on another forum--for every person who is posting about their problem, chances are there's 20 people out there with not problem, and therefore no driving force to find a forum to post asking for help/suggestions.

Moral of my story: People are much more likely to post about problems, rather than post words of praise. I have my MBP ordered and I can't wait til it gets here in a couple weeks. If it has problems, then I'll deal with that then and consider myself one of the unlucky few, but I'm confident I'll be in 7th heaven.

Hey!

Thanks for the story which really hits the mark!!

I was beginning to get a bit dipressed reading all these messages but after reading your post I have found hope!

You are so right, when things run perfectly why bother going into a forum!! It's as if feeling happy and going to the shrink to ask him why!!

Thanks for being of real help. I will definately place an order for the MBP and as you said, the chances are that it will be the smoothest, sleekest thing out there!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 1.83GHz, 1.5GB RAM
Glad I could be of help... I felt that I needed to respond though. It's really disheartening reading about nothing but "issues" and hardly anything about praise. I'll post about my system when it gets here and how it's functioning :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5, 4G 40gb, G4 iBook
It's all up to you whether you want to wait or not...What do you plan on using the comptuer for? If you are doing basic computer tasks then hold out awhile and wait for a MacBook(not pro), they will be faster then the powerbook G4s I believe and will have the same price tag as the iBook. Apple has said that by the end of 2006 all the Apple computers will be intel. I dont see apple waiting much longer to release their iBook repleacement since the iBook was such a big hit for apple.

Now onto the MacBook issues...Everytime a new product is released it has problems, and when their are problems they stand out more then all the good. It's the same situation as the xbox 360. I am sure apple rigorously tested the MacBook before they released it and if there was a problem then it would have been corrected before it was released.

OP
S

Santos

I bought my MacBook Pro this past friday. Best buy I have done. It's alot better than my iBook. But the choice is up to you...I happy, I didn't.

OP
J

jamericani@mac.

Get it

Well maybe im one of the lucky ones, my MBP (2.0, 2gb's, etc) is waaaaaay quieter than my Dell 5100 piece of junk that i still keep b/c it hasnt completely died yet. I hovered above the apple store until the MBP came in, bought it and ran home. Mine is extremely quiet, the most you will hear is a little bit of nothing blowing by, lol.

Tell you what, i know as much about computers in general as a bowl of noodles, this is PC we are talking, can you imagine how much i know about a Mac. This is the best buy of my life, expensive yes, but trust me everytime i look at my dell, i smile at my Mac.

I have been weined off my PC genius's that i bug b/c i caught another bug on the PC.

I love mine so much i bought my dad an ibook.

Mac's Rule :headphone

OP
C

cellculturist

i would wait for the new generation of intels to come out, which will be either in April or August, and if you need the computer now get the 17" PBook.

OP
S

ScottyD

I don't buy the whole "don't buy Rev A" thing. If you look at Apple's track record with the PowerBooks, you'll see that they've had their share of issues as well -- ie the PowerBook LCD monitor stripes. This was the last rev of the PowerBook. So don't believe the "don't buy Rev A" hype.

Furthermore, according to several posts I've seen on several message boards, Apple states the processor "hiss" as within their noise specs. It doesn't even sound like a whine to me, maybe a chirp if that. It's so low that I have to put my ear up to the MacBook Pro. I don't have the LCD power inverter whine, so as far as I'm concerned the whole whine issue is more about whiners that have nothing better to ***** about.

If you need a portable machine and you need it now... go for the MBP. It's well worth the money.

Peace,
Scotty D

OP
D

dbouwer

Revision D

Hi everybody...

According to many news article I've read, revision D sorts out all the current niggles!!!

Will be getting mine soon...can't wait!!!

Cool forum!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.