Suspicious warning on wife's iPad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
She showed me her greyed out screen with a urgent message that suspicious activity from a third party had threatened the security of the iPad. She was to go to site

http://i-phone-support.com or call an 800 # (don't know exact as I had her shut off the iPad)\
Well she had called before she told me.

"Jack" told her there was a $40 app she had to buy & install that would prevent this. He immediately asked what credit card she wanted to use.

She said she wanted to talk to me, could she call back. Jack said no, he'd call back.

When he did I answered the phone-no one was there. Then it rang a few min later & there was "Jack" I got on phone & asked him if he worked for Apple. No No he said, I am the third party contractor.

I cannot repeat on a public forum the various acts I told him to commit. I also told him I would like to break his neck if he were around here.

Hung up so not sure how "Jack" took it.

Am I nuts (wait, don't answer that) I believe this was 100% scam.

Just felt like getting it out there. Anyone else heard this one?

DH

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
My previous post had beginning cut off.. Relates to some sort of attack I believe on my wife's iPad.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yes, this is a scam. Apple doesn't send out random messages to report suspicious activity and if they did, you can certainly bet good money that the help website would be part of the Apple domain.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
Yes, this is a scam. Apple doesn't send out random messages to report suspicious activity and if they did, you can certainly bet good money that the help website would be part of the Apple domain.

Spoke to local Apple store. He said it surely was a scam. Surprised he had not heard of it. Found another forum where people were chatting about this & got info to loose the locked up screen. All is well.

Wish I had spent more time insulting "Jack"

Thanks for your reply.

DH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
So what had to be done to the iPad to fix the problem? Inquiring minds what to know!

Lisa

Reaction score
it's a plugin hack and there s nothing you can do except shut down the iPad and restart it it goes away

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 10.10.2
So what had to be done to the iPad to fix the problem? Inquiring minds what to know!

Lisa

Searched on Yahoo, came up with this chat almost immediately;

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6653282?start=0&tstart=0

But it cleared when I turned off the iPad completely and when I turned it back on, it was gone. There is a mention of blocking pop-up in settings. When I checked her iPad, however, the popup block WAS set so "Jack" & his crew have found a way to get into the system.

Wife picked up this prob when looking at a site about chord structure for piano but she can't remember the name of the site as was led there by a yahoo search. She was looking for info about the "E" chord. WARNING: DO NOT PLAY ANY E CHORDS ON THE PIANO. Cannot speak for them on guitar or melodeon or accordion.

Does that help.

Reaction score
you searched yahoo thats why yahoo has been hit with spam links for years and they never remove them from the search engine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.