rSync commandline bash script

Reaction score
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can assist. I have been a mac user for some time and previously a ubuntu linux user familiar with commandline and creating the odd script to run repetitive commands.

I have been using my mac for sometime now and have vital files in one folder on my mac. I also have NAS on my home network and a share available for me to back my files up to.

Using an command line application like rSync I would like to backup the contents of a particular folder (and sub directories) from lets say its "~/Pictures” to network share which lets say "/Volumes/Nas/Picarchive”. Is anyone able to help me with a command that will do this incrementally, only backing up file names.
Any advice is appreciated
Scar1

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Take a look here to help you construct the rsync command of your choosing.

Are you looking to have this run on a schedule as well? If so, you'll want to leverage something like cron or launchd (the latter of which is OS X's scheduling system, the former being much simpler and the Linux nerd in me is supportive of that option). If this is something you want to do, let us know and we can help with that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Here's a simple one I use to keep folders synced up via cron every 10 minutes:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * rsync -av /source/path/. /dest/path/. >> /place/for/logfile.log &

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.