Mail and Folders

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been using Mail on my iMac for 5 years now, and have dozens of folders, with emails automatically moving into the right folder as soon as they arrive from various rules set up.

Everything works fine on the iMac.

I just got a new MacBook Pro, and when I set up my IMAP email account, it came across fine except for the folders. This means all my previous emails are not accessible, and any new email that comes in on the iMac disappears from my MacBook Pro.

How can I get all those folders onto my MacBook Pro as well?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have your iMac setup to use POP3 email? If you do, and you now have your new MacBook Pro setup to use IMAP, that's why the mail is disappearing from it. You would need to setup your iMac to likewise use IMAP. IMAP stores the mail and folders on the server and can be accessed from all your devices whereas POP3 stores them on your device.

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks chscag,

Both are set up as IMAP, and the folders were originally created on the iMac computer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.