• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Which Video Editing software for home video use - Final Cut Pro X?

Reaction score
I am HATING iMovie at the moment. It just keeps crashing continually. I have over 300 home movies edited into iMovie projects that I am now trying to gradually export via Quicktime so I have a final movie that is not dependent upon itunes. I have 6 portable hard drives connected and events and projects and .mov files all over the place. I feel like starting from scratch again.
Why does iMovie keep crashing anyway? Will this problem NOT happen with Final Cut Pro X? Or should I look at Adobe Premiere Elements?
I just want basic editing tasks. iMovie has been fantastic except for the crash factor.

C

chas_m

Maybe it would be worth figuring out why iMovie is crashing? It obviously hasn't always done so, if you have managed to put 300 projects together ...

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear tawmii

Welcome to the Forums. As chas_m rightly points out iMovie has worked well for you in the past and should continue to do so. My work output is way short of yours, but I've never had any iMovie problems (that weren't of my own doing!).

To start with, it would help to know which Mac, what OS, how much RAM, how much storage. Any specific or recurring actions which seem to cause these "crashes"? And by 'crashes"; you mean it closes or the spinning ball or what?

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.