• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The adoption of new technology is an irrational process. Discuss.

Reaction score
Hey

I'm writing an essay on the above title and was wondering what everyone thought. I'm getting bogged down in theories and would like some real world input.

It's supopsed to be about everything from the wheel to nanotechnology but i would like some inspiration vis-a-vis the introduction of the personal computer i.e. Apple changing people's persepctives on what was until then a main-frame system.

If anyone happens to have published on the subject then i'd be happy to reference you in my essay (i like confusing tutors with people they haven't heard of)

Thanks
M

Reaction score
Well, lets say apple had pattends for the iPod for the next (X) years, then there might now be anymore great mp3 players for (X) years.

What i'm trying to say, is that apple always comes out with great ideas, then once their pattend is over, other companies just copy them. The final product for these other companies never looks as good as apples, though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
EDIT-XTREEM said:
Well, lets say apple had pattends for the iPod for the next (X) years, then there might now be anymore great mp3 players for (X) years.

What i'm trying to say, is that apple always comes out with great ideas, then once their pattend is over, other companies just copy them. The final product for these other companies never looks as good as apples, though!

Huh? Digital music players were out for a good three years before the iPod first made an appearance. Apple is good with styling and marketing, but a good amount of times they copy what has been around for a while. Notable exception is the Newton-- I don't think that there was anything like that around when they were introduced.

Apple's genius is in taking things and making them more appealing by making them very stylish and easier to use.

A little article on mp3 player history:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6450_7-5622055-1.html

B

Badger

The most interesting thing about adaptation of new technology is how many knowledgeable people get it wrong: "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." Thomas Watson, Chairman, IBM Corporation (1943); "I see no advantage to the graphical user interface." Bill Gates (1984).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
dan828 said:
Notable exception is the Newton-- I don't think that there was anything like that around when they were introduced.

Ahem. http://www.8bit-micro.com/tandy-zoomer-z-pda.htm

tandy-zoomer.gif

The Casio/Tandy Zoomer, introduced 1992, months before the Newton.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.