New Internal SSD, no format.

x59

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Aluminum Macbook 2.0gHz, core i5 Mac Mini.
Installed a new SSD in a 2009 Macbook. Replacing an old SSD in said macbook. Booting from install DVD, open disk utility to format and the drive is not listed. Open system profiler, and under the Serial-ATA listing, the model number for the drive is listed, which leads me to believe it knows something is there. How can I format this drive, without access to another machine, or external dock? Any tricks?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even a bare SSD or HDD should be "seen" by Disk Utility. There may be a problem with the new SSD or the SATA cable between the connector and logic board. Although if the System Profiler can see the SSD, the SATA cable should be working. What happens when you swap the old defective SSD back in, does Disk Utility "see" it?

OP
X

x59

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ssd was a warranty replacement so I don't have the drive. I replaced the sata cable before I got the new drive thinking it could have been the problem to begin with.

Reaction score
It could be the drive controller is failing that model of macbook has had issues with the gpu and the drive controller.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The ssd was a warranty replacement so I don't have the drive. I replaced the sata cable before I got the new drive thinking it could have been the problem to begin with.

It sounds like you have other problems with the MacBook if the SSD is a replacement and you've already replaced the SATA cable. Do you have another hard drive laying around that you can swap in and see if it shows up? Also, you can test the new SSD by connecting it to the MacBook via USB and then booting with your install recovery DVD.

OP
X

x59

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like I said, I dont have anything external to put the drive in, nor do I have another computer.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.