Memory Confusion

Reaction score
Hello all, I've had an LAte 2013 MBP for just over a year now.
I'm trying to make sense of my flash storage numbers.

When I check through "about my mac", it says I have 17.71 GB free.
When I check through the Finder "get info", it says I have 48.45 GB available.

Screen shot:
Screen%20Shot%202015-03-18%20at%209.48.56%20AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're confused because these are two completely separate storage devices!;)

The "Macintosh HD"…is the storage device inside your MacBook Pro. The "transcend" device is an external storage device of some sort…attached via the USB port.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
You're confused because these are two completely separate storage devices!;)

The "Macintosh HD"…is the storage device inside your MacBook Pro. The "transcend" device is an external storage device of some sort…attached via the USB port.

- Nick

Thanks, but look again. I should have cut out the transcend drive. Compare the two listings just for the Macintosh HD.

05444f08-3a37-4a66-b7d9-a29ce681c52f.png

Last edited:

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you using Time Machine for backups. If ao, local snapshots and how they are handled might explain things. Some parts of the system count the space used by local snapshots as available space and some parts of the system do not count that space. About Time Machine and local snapshots

OP
R
Reaction score
Are you using Time Machine for backups. If ao, local snapshots and how they are handled might explain things. Some parts of the system count the space used by local snapshots as available space and some parts of the system do not count that space. About Time Machine and local snapshots

I wasn't aware of this, and yes, I had TM running all the time. I read the info on the link you provided (Thank you!). I've turned it off, and I will watch this "back-ups" portion.

I just checked after posting, and the back-ups portion is already gone. It shows 48 GB free now. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, but look again. I should have cut out the transcend drive. Compare the two listings just for the Macintosh HD.

Ok sorry…I see what you mean now.:) When I saw the two different drives…I thought that was where the confusion was. But it was me that was confused!;) Thanks for the correction!:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wasn't aware of this, and yes, I had TM running all the time. I read the info on the link you provided (Thank you!). I've turned it off, and I will watch this "back-ups" portion.

I just checked after posting, and the back-ups portion is already gone. It shows 48 GB free now. Thanks again for the help.

You're welcome. Glad that explained things for you.

In theory the local snapshots shouldn't let available drive space get low enough to affect performance. I wish that information were either more well known or that it was handled better by the software. Either solution would address the confusion you were experiencing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In theory the local snapshots shouldn't let available drive space get low enough to affect performance. I wish that information were either more well known or that it was handled better by the software. Either solution would address the confusion you were experiencing.

Actually, I wish Apple would add turning off local snapshots to Time Machine's options in System Preferences. In my opinion (and I don't currently own a portable Mac) it's a hand holding useless bother that causes more problems than it resolves.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It certainly causes some confusion. IIRC when this was introduced I discovered it by accident. I was searching for answers to a Time Machine related problem for one of our members.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh the joy of CCC and SD! I dislike TM with a passion.

M

MacInWin

I use TimeMachineEditor to control when TM makes the backup. TM is technically turned off, then TME turns it on, makes the backup and turns it off again. I could do that manually, but TME keeps me from forgetting and regretting later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.