Advice on new notebook: MacBook Air vs MacBookPro

Reaction score
Hi All,

My current notebook is a MacBook Pro 15" from 2007 which is still running reasonably well for its age (only upgraded RAM from 2GB to 5GB a few years ago and got battery replaced in 2010 or so)

I don't use it very much on a day-to-day basis since both my wife and I have personal ipads that we use to browse the web.

Where I live (Germany) there are a few deals at the moment on Apple Notebooks, so I've been considering to replace the good old MBP.

As mentioned I am a very light user these days, so I'd probably only need it to store/organize music, pictures (download them from camera) and to write letters or work on a spreadsheet every now and then. I rarely ever take the notebook on trips or outside the house.

That's why I'd not like to spend too much money on the new one. For around a 1000 euros I could buy one the following

- 13" MacBook Pro (the basic, not retina display) with 8 GB RAM and 256 SSD, Intel HD Graphics 4000
- 13" MacBook Air with 8GB RAM and 128 SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Which one would you get?
I have noted the following pros/cons:

MB Air: + Less weight, + slightly better screen resolution, - smaller hard drive
MB Pro: the opposite

After this purchase I would consider buying a Time Capsule, so that could solve the smaller HD on the MB Air?

Which one would you pick if you were me?

Many thanks in advance,
Claus

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
How much used space on your current Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
After this purchase I would consider buying a Time Capsule, so that could solve the smaller HD on the MB Air?

Which one would you pick if you were me?

Many thanks in advance,
Claus

I think you are on the right track in that storage is one of the few things left you can expand these days. Even just a plain old USB 3.0 external disk drive does the trick. If you don't really expect to use what the Pro offers, the Air sounds like a winner with the lighter weight and better graphics.

OP
C
Reaction score
Many thanks for your recomendations.

Btw I have only 70 GB or so used on my old MBP.

I ended up getting a very good deal (in my view) on ebay for a 5 month old 13" MacBook Air with an upgraded chip (i7 instead of i5), 8GB RAM and 256 SSD, paying only 50 bucks more than my above mentioned budget.

Picking it up tomorrow! :)

Thanks again for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.