Screensaver

Reaction score
I want to choose a random selection of photos from my iPhoto library as the screensaver on my MacBook Pro, but the IPhoto library folder is not highlighted when I try to set it up. Can you please advise?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Need to know; your operating system, what OSX? What version of iTunes are you running? The method for doing what you ask is different for almost every OSX.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for this Rod. I am using Yosemite 10.10.2 . 12.10.50 is the version of iTunes.

When setting up the screensaver there is an option to go to a folder and choose the random option to use photos in the folder, I have gone into Pictures and I want to use my iPhoto library folder and the random option. It is there and obviously use it for all sorts of other activity but it is not highlighted for the screensaver so I can't use it. All help gratefully received!

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi Simol, thanks for the information. Things have changed quite a bit since OSX 10.8 but the principal remains the same.
That is, you need to pick a folder to load. When you look at the Screensaver window you will see a Source menu with a number of alternatives to choose from. These are usually iPhoto dates and Default Collections such as Ariel, Cosmos, Nature etc. Or you can choose a folder (that you create yourself), I have a folder of collected desktop photos I some times use or Photo Library. If you choose iPhoto Library you will see the window below. You must choose one of the existing sets from the menu or create one specifically for Screen Saver. The bottom line here is you cannot choose your entire iPhoto library. Back in the early days you could but because Libraries are so big these days it would take forever to load.
So create a Screen Saver folder in iTunes, add some photos for immediate use and add more to the folder over time by dragging your favourites to it as you come across them.

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 19.20.00.png

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for this Rod! There was a time when the whole library could be used but clearly no longer! Many thanks for the advice and I will start creating a dedicated screensaver photo folder. Many thanks once again.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are welcome, if not done already you can click the the little thumbs up icon top right next to the exclamation box to add to my reputation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.