Yosemite upgrade issues

Reaction score
I have been having a couple ongoing aggravations w/Yosemite stability;

1. Keep having iPhoto problems with my selected screensaver randomly defaulting to National Geographic screensaver images when I have selected my iPhoto library as my default preference. Seems that the problem only occurs when I have had recent interactive activity with random websites where I have either ordered items online or otherwise had interaction with a website such as Turbo Tax to do my taxes. Thus my comment on the problem seeming to result from online interaction.

2. Secondly have had recent issues with Yosemite now not being compatible with my Epson 630 driver scanner functionality. It was fine under Snow Leopard 10.6, but not with Yosemite 10.10. This is really an aggravation which Apple should own for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As for 2. — your epson printer/scanner is compatible with and supported by Yosemite:
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201465

But you will probably need to use Image Capture for scanning but you might want to check your local area Epson support site for more info and maybe even some compatible software, maybe… :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

1. Keep having iPhoto problems with my selected screensaver randomly defaulting to National Geographic screensaver images when I have selected my iPhoto library as my default preference. Seems that the problem only occurs when I have had recent interactive activity with random websites where I have either ordered items online or otherwise had interaction with a website such as Turbo Tax to do my taxes. Thus my comment on the problem seeming to result from online interaction.

The screen saver defaulting to the National Geographic is a bug. It doesn't happen to everyone.

2. Secondly have had recent issues with Yosemite now not being compatible with my Epson 630 driver scanner functionality. It was fine under Snow Leopard 10.6, but not with Yosemite 10.10. This is really an aggravation which Apple should own for sure.

This one is on you not Apple. Going from an older version of OS X (Snow Leopard) to the latest (Yosemite) is a big jump. You should always check your applications and devices before upgrading to make sure that they'll still work and\or drivers are available. Snow Leopard was the last version of OS X that supported PPC apps. Any app that's PPC for example will not run in Yosemite.

And as pointed out by member pm-r you can always try Image Capture to scan with and if that doesn't work, VueScan might work for you but it isn't free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Rather than a screensaver just let the computer sleep. Less power less conflict.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Rather than a screensaver just let the computer sleep. Less power less conflict.

+1.

I had been contemplating posting the same comment. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
iPhoto issues

indeed that is what I do when not in use......the only time I utilize the screensaver is when listening to Pandora while working out.

thx for the tip about the original install discs, which indeed I would not let go of ever !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.