Help Installing a new Hard Drive in my Mac Pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro5,1 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor
Hi,

I'm a Noob. I am replacing my HD in my Mac Pro 5.1.

I have no problem physically installing it, it's pretty simple. It has drive bays and I just have to secure it onto a bracket and insert it.

Can someone guide me on going about migrating my Current OS onto my new Drive?

I am running Yosemite 10.10.2.

Should I install Yosemite onto my new HD and then just migrate my files from my current Main HD to this new One?
I have the Migrant assistant app. I Have heard that it may not be compatible in Yosemite.

Can I keep the OS on my Old HD and have it run in sync with the new one?

I have 4 Drive Bays, can I put the new Drive in Bay 4 (the back) and then install the operating system with the drive there, ( so I don't have to remove the old drive with all my current files)?

I do have another external HD with a back up (Time Machine). Am I better off using that to migrate my files?

I have one main HD (my current one I'm replacing), which is about 4 and 1/2 years old. I also have two other HD's (one, is 700 GB's and another is 200 GB's) which I use for storage, and the external one. A total of 4 HD's ( not including the new one I want to install).

Does it matter what physical position in the drive bay My Main HD occupies? Right now it's (front to back) Main HD-HD 2-HD3.

Your help is Much appreciated.

Sherp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welome to the forums.

You have it right - format the new drive Mac OS Extended (Jurnaled) in Disk utility, install Yosemite and then use Migration Assistant in Utilities. Then pop the new drive into Bay One which is checked first for the system software.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Name: Mac Pro Model Identifier: MacPro5,1 Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor
G'day and welome to the forums.

You have it right - format the new drive Mac OS Extended (Jurnaled) in Disk utility, install Yosemite and then use Migration Assistant in Utilities. Then pop the new drive into Bay One which is checked first for the system software.

I've just read about using disk utility. Formatting the new Drive and then using restore to make a clone of the first Disk.

Is that a better option?

If I use migration assistant, will it move all my apps with serial number and all that other stuff?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you have all your passwords in a Password Manager or in Keychain Access then yes it will. Im 99% sure that you will have to re-enter the passwords into the apps once you open them again.
Make sure though, that you deregister the Apps BEFORE you bring them over, because I have 1 called Perfect Photo Studio 9, that will only allow installation on 2 Machines, (meaning HD's) and I have had to get them to reset my Software, when I tried to re-enter the Activation Code on my new SSD, and because I didn't deregister it on my Old HHD, and it was installed and registered on my iMac as well, I couldn't install the App and use it.
A lot of companies have this now, so check with said App Companies and check what you need to do, to make sure you can use it on your new HD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not using Photo Studio etc, nor a password manager, I have only ever found a problem with MS Office and all that is nrequired is entry of the activation code.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi,

I did what you guys said and it seems to be great.

Only one issue, when I checked verify disk through disk utility, I didn't get the green "seems to be okay message", although, I Didn't get a red "disk has errors" message either though.

I checked it while booting up on my original drive, the boot up disks that came with the computer, and Onyx, and all three time I DID get the green " Disk volume seems to be okay" message.

Should I be concerned?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe if you boot from another drive with the operating system on it, go to Disk Utility, select the SSD and run Repair Disk and you may get the green that way. And for me the green message comes half a dozen or more lines above the 'disk seems okay' message.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe if you boot from another drive with the operating system on it, go to Disk Utility, select the SSD and run Repair Disk and you may get the green that way. And for me the green message comes half a dozen or more lines above the 'disk seems okay' message.

I did that.:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.