OSX/Macbook Constantly Freezing Up/Crashing

Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently running a 2010 macbook, 10.6.8, 4GB RAM, 250GB HDD (80-85% full but deleting stuff out), 2.4 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo and about 2 months ago I did a full erase of everything to do a full clean install using only the programs I really need (about a dozen: mostly just web browsing, music, basic photo editing and basic office software).

Despite this "clean out" my system seems slower than ever. After a 30-40 second start up and an app actually becomes clickable on my dock it will bounce for up to 30 seconds before opening, no matter if its my most used apps or least used. I constantly get the spinning colour wheel, I'm not a heavy user but use 2 or 3 workspaces at a time. If I open 5/6/7 tabs in any web browser the entire laptop freezes (sometimes I can force quit, most of the time I just have to hold the power button down and force a laptop shutdown). This happens even if no other application is open. If I have Office + web browser + itunes open, the same thing happens: spinning wheel and total freeze up. Everytime I open Activity Monitor and go to System Memory, the green free ram bit is always small, even if I'm doing nothing.

On the rare occasions it doesn't freeze, the system runs slow and laggy - for example I can drag a window across a screen and release the track button but it wont actually happen for 5 seconds, like the system is playing catch up with what I want it to do. Same goes for typing in browsers or office docs, there is always a delay. It just doesn't feel like a clean install despite it only being a couple of months in with very few apps installed.

This is now happening multiple times a day and is most frustrating, with the macbook constantly making a noise as if every internal part is stressing to its maximum despite being slow and freezing constantly. Can anyone offer advice on how to fix this, or why it is happening? Should I do another clean install or upgrade the OSX even though I have minimum spec for Yosemite? (or is the laptop just old and about to die?) Thanks in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is now happening multiple times a day and is most frustrating, with the macbook constantly making a noise as if every internal part is stressing to its maximum despite being slow and freezing constantly. Can anyone offer advice on how to fix this, or why it is happening? Should I do another clean install or upgrade the OSX even though I have minimum spec for Yosemite? (or is the laptop just old and about to die?) Thanks in advance.

My first bit of advice is to make a full backup of your data. The symptoms you described could be related to hard drive age and a possible failure of it. Make the full backup first and then use your Snow Leopard DVD to boot the machine. Use the top menu when it boots up and select Utilities, Disk Utility. Verify the hard drive. One note here.... even if it verifies, it could still be on its way out, so be sure to have a good backup ready. Use Time Machine or cloning software to an external hard drive. Also, a lot of the slowness could be due to the fact that your hard drive is getting full.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.