Canon scanner

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Good day,

I have a Canon scanner with a USB cable which came with a CD of both Win and Mac software. I would like to use it with my new iMac desktop, but unfortunately there is no CD/DVD player on my Mac.

Any suggestions as to how I can get it up and running would be appreciated.

Regards,
Bill

M

MacInWin

You'll need an external DVD drive. They aren't that expensive and you'll probably need it again sooner or later.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Have you tried running Image Capture. I found it worked fine with my Canon 9000F for basic scans without any additional software.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Check the Canon website. Unless they have changed things recently the software is on their site as a download. Go to the section for your specific scanner. If the software is there it will be listed with the drivers.

You may have to download several files.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
Check the Canon website. Unless they have changed things recently the software is on their site as a download. Go to the section for your specific scanner. If the software is there it will be listed with the drivers.

You may have to download several files.

Thanks for that. It worked and my scanner is now in business.

Regards,
Bill

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Glad that helped sort things out.

For the benefit of others reading this thread in the future the same holds true for most other manufacturers. If they have scanner drivers and support software on CD it's probably also on their site.

Edit: For basic scanning needs launch Image Capture (in the Applications folder) with the scanner attached. It may recognize the scanner without additional software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.