Finder search question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
I have a question searching using the Finder.
I navigate to the Application folder. When I type in part of an application name in Spotlight I get a LOT seeming unrelated results in the finder.

I expected to see only files with "launch" in the filename.

What an I missing?

THanks
Monty

Screen Shot 2015-03-16 at 4.03.38 PM by MontyM, on Flickr

M

MacInWin

Don't use Spotlight for that. Just hit the "L" key and if your applications are sorted by Name, you'll jump to the top of all the "L" applications. If not sorted by name, you'll still jump to an "L" application but what you want may or may not be nearby.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi MontyMo

Jake has answered your question. But I thought I should just mention that if you really wanted to, you can use Spotlight to open an app without going anywhere near the applications folder.

Firstly, go into System Preferences, then Spotlight. This will open a box. Click on "Search Results" though it probably defaults to that anyway. This allows you to arrange the order in which Spotlight searches your Mac's content. Drag "Applications" to the top of the list and sort out the other options according to your needs. Close out.

Now, from anywhere on your Mac, hit Cmd + Spacebar. This opens Spotlight top right of your screen. Start typing the first letters of the app—eg, saf and hit Enter. Safari will open. Or tex and Text Edit will open and so on.

Some people find this a quick way of opening an app.

As far as Spotlight searches are concerned, I've abandoned Spotlight for EasyFind, a really excellent alternative.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.