Performance improvement from older Macbook pro to lates macbook pro

Reaction score
I have an early 2011 13" Macbook pro with the following specs:

2.3GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1333 MHz DDR3 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB Graphics

I'm considering purchasing the just released 13-inch: 2.7GHz with Retina display with these specs:

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz
8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory
256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
Intel Iris Graphics 6100

I would like to know what kind of performance improvement I can expect. Is there benchmark data available comparing these 2 machines? I know its probably time to upgrade but I'm trying to get a feel for what level of performance improvement I could expect. Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You current MBP gets Geekbench scores of around 2250 for single core and 4450 for multi-core operations..

While there aren't any numbers for latest release of the MBP,the model prior at 2.6 Ghz i7 got single core numbers of 2800 and multi-core numbers of 5800..

The newer model should be a little bit better. Going to the SSD alone will improve overall performance of the storage access. The newer-generation CPU and the faster memory will also help.

Now, the REAL question is of course are you going to see the jump from say 2250 to 2800 in single-core operations in your day to day things. Does that yield many seconds of improvement? This is a lot harder to quantify and answer..

Updating to the latest hardware will almost make things run faster, but if you are running a relatively newer machine, that bump is harder to notice.

OP
P
Reaction score
You current MBP gets Geekbench scores of around 2250 for single core and 4450 for multi-core operations..

While there aren't any numbers for latest release of the MBP,the model prior at 2.6 Ghz i7 got single core numbers of 2800 and multi-core numbers of 5800..

The newer model should be a little bit better. Going to the SSD alone will improve overall performance of the storage access. The newer-generation CPU and the faster memory will also help.

Now, the REAL question is of course are you going to see the jump from say 2250 to 2800 in single-core operations in your day to day things. Does that yield many seconds of improvement? This is a lot harder to quantify and answer..

Updating to the latest hardware will almost make things run faster, but if you are running a relatively newer machine, that bump is harder to notice.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.