im a event photographer and need help with a multi screen mac setup

Reaction score
Hi all
I want to know if this is possible, can i run more than one screen from my imac that will run independently of each other. What i need is for people to be able to view there images stored on one imac but on 2 or 3 screens at the same time but different images. For instance on the main mac i would have say race 1, race 2 and race 3, i want people to be able to select there race on what ever screen they are using while the people on the next screen can also select there race and view there images. I know its do-able on windows machines with i think a nas drive but as im a mac fan i dont really want to change. im always out in the field so have no wifi or router etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's the best info I'm aware of on this topic:

OS X Mavericks preview: Multiple Displays finally work like they're supposed to | iMore

According to the article…each monitor attached to the computer would have it's own Menu Bar and Dock (which was never available before).

What I'm not 100% sure of is:

- if one computer (with multiple displays attached)…if the content on each monitor can be operated or manipulated independently.
- if attaching two or more input devices to a single computer (your iMac) is possible. Since this is what you would need for two or more folks to cycle thru their race images.

It basically sounds like you would like to have one iMac computer be able to act just like one, two, three, or more computers.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks and yes thats correct i do want to use the mac as a hardrive to run 2 or 3 screens. ive herd people do it with windows by connecting cheap tablets to monitors and also connecting the tablets to a main computer and each tablet feeds off of the main pc hard drive

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ive herd people do it with windows by connecting cheap tablets to monitors and also connecting the tablets to a main computer and each tablet feeds off of the main pc hard drive

I think that what's happening here with the "Windows computer & tablets" is…the Windows computer is being setup as a "server"…and all the tablets are connecting to the Windows computer that way.

In the example you mentioned...I don't think that the Windows computer is setup for use as a single user and then the tablets connecting to it.

A "single user" OS install…and a "multi-user" server OS install are different things…and require different versions of the OS software (this goes for the Windows OS or the Mac OS).

I should mention that I in no way am an expert when it comes to the Windows OS. But it does sound to me that in this Windows computer & tablets example…the Windows computer is setup as a server.

And as far as doing this with a Macintosh computer. Same thing. I think that the Mac would need to be setup as a server (not a single user OS setup).

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, i think maybe a trip to an Apple shop and see what they say. I really have no idea what i need to do this..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, i think maybe a trip to an Apple shop and see what they say. I really have no idea what i need to do this..

Probably a really great idea! You never know…maybe there is a way to do it with your computer with a "single-user" OS version installed. But my feeling is…you need to install "Mac OS X Server" to get it done.

If you visit with Apple…or find a solution on your own…please let us know. A pretty interesting topic!:)

- Nick

p.s. By the way…there is another way of doing what you want to do. But it would involve uploading all these photos to a website…and then interested parties would visit the website…enter the name or race number of the race participant…then see the photos.

I'm sure you're aware of this method (it's a pretty standard method for folks doing what you do).

It sounds like you are trying to do the photo viewing while at the event…which would be prior to the uploading of photos to a website AFTER the event.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks, ill pop to my local store in the next few days, and yes i need to have the pictures up while im at the events as i do onsite printing, i load them to my website after for online sales.

ill update with what Apple say ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks, ill pop to my local store in the next few days, and yes i need to have the pictures up while im at the events as i do onsite printing, i load them to my website after for online sales.

For what it's worth. I'm a very active runner (10k's, 15k's, half marathon, marathon). Not sure what type of events you are photographing.

So I have a pretty good understanding of what things "look like" at these events that you are working. And as a fairly knowledgeable computer person…I can "see" electronically why you would want to do what you way to do.:)

ill update with what Apple say ;)

Awesome. Looking forward to it!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
i work in motocross and have it all set up in a large van, i shoot the race then have a imac and a macbook pro, i load pics of the riders in to lightroom on both computers and then edit and print any they want. i need to really add another screen to increase the sales speed and get them to tag there own pictures ready for me to print..

pics like this

HPB_1052 by Harry Picturebike Lessman, on Flickr

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.