Time machine with 2 drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro
I recently replaced my cd drive with an additional drive and I was wondering if when I use time machine to back up my system if it automatically does both or if there is something I need to do to make than happen. I cannot seem to find any info on this and don't want to assume it is happening. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, Time Machine will continue to backup your primary drive and will not automatically backup the second hard drive. The second hard drive as a replacement for the CD drive is just like an external hard drive. If you need to back it up (and you should) use software designed for that: Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2011 15" MacBook Pro
Ferrarr,

I was skeptical about your statement so I did some digging and went to my back-up drive and opened the folders. Sure enough, both drives are on there and the contents is there also. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.