Why is 2012 refurb more than 2013 refurb?

Reaction score
Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

Originally released September 2013
27-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2560-by-1440 resolution
8GB memory
1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in FaceTime HD camera

$1,489.00

Save $310.00
17% off
Select

Refurbished 27-inch iMac 3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

Originally released October 2012
27-inch LED-backlit display with IPS technology
8GB memory

1TB hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX with 1GB
Built-in FaceTime HD camera

$1,549.00

Save $450.00
22% off

As you can see the GPU in the 2012 model is a lower model (number wise) than the 2013 model is, yet it's over 50 bucks more than the 2013 model...this is what I was trying to find out last week, I don't understand why the 2012 would be more with virtually the same specs as the 2013.

Anyone?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maybe because 2 different people put the postings up.
Maybe because whomever sets the prices for refurbs doesn't realize they're pricing old models higher than newer models.
Maybe because Apple has a set policy of pricing refurbs using a formula that dictates the percent off based on age and original price.

BTW, Apple dropped the price by $200 on the 2013 from the 2012 model price.
Why did they do that?
They recouped their R&D expenses by then? The actual hardware they used had come down in price? Who knows?

You're never going to find out "why".
You're only going to get responses that you've already considered.

Why ask why? At least out loud... It's one thing to shake your head and wonder about a lot of idiotic things people do - when, for most of them, there is no good answer.

Even if you call Apple direct to actually purchase one of them - would you really buy a 1 year older model with a lower end GPU to save $50? Move along and let someone else purchase the older model. When/If it doesn't sell, they'll eventually lower the price again.

Last edited:
OP
D
Reaction score
Why is it that every time I post a question here lately I get attacked by people making comments like "why ask the question?" Is this or is this NOT a forum, where people come to exchange ideas, ask questions and answer questions? Are these kinds of replies really necessary? Coming from a moderator I find this behavior quite appalling...

So far, "Nick" seems to be the only nice person on here that I've run into, everyone else has had smart *** replies. Maybe I'll move over to Mac Rumors, I hear they are more popular and friendly over there.

Sorry that I asked a question on a forum...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As you can see the GPU in the 2012 model is a lower model (number wise) than the 2013 model is, yet it's over 50 bucks more than the 2013 model...this is what I was trying to find out last week, I don't understand why the 2012 would be more with virtually the same specs as the 2013.

Anyone?

I agree with you. Just looking at the specs of the two computers it is difficult to understand the difference in the pricing. Nothing in the specs stands out as a reason for the price difference.

I also agree with "bobtomay"…that there may be something going on behind the scenes that we don't know about (nothing to do with the computer specs).

- Could maybe be "human error" at Apple.
- Could be that multiple people at Apple place these computers in the refurbished area…and they aren't "talking" to each other.
- Could be that there's some "flex" in how these refurbished computers are priced.
- Could be a "supply & demand" thing. Maybe Apple has a lot more of these 2013 27" iMacs…and fewer of the 2012 27" iMacs. So the 2013 models (in this case) have a lower price tag simply because Apple may have more of them…and is trying to "move them out the door" ASAP.

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.