Changing App Store ID

Reaction score
I purchased a used MacBook Pro. Got everything changed over and in my name and accounts - except for one thing. When an update appears in the App Store and I click "update" a window appears with App Store ID and asking for password. It has the wrong (old owner) ID and I can't figure out how to change it. Can anyone help? thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you purchased the MacBook Pro, did you completely wipe it clean and install OS X using your own personal Apple ID? It sounds like you didn't do that which is why the previous owner is still registered.

OP
S
Reaction score
no I didn't, probably stupidly, but a friend help me clean up and re-set everything. If I sign into the App Store it is with my ID and PW. The only place I'm having a problem is when this update window appears that does not allow you to change the ID. Any way to correct this without reseting computer. I have too much on it now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any way to correct this without reseting computer. I have too much on it now.

No way to correct it. But what you can do is backup everything that's yours legally and that you can reinstall. Wipe it clean, install your own copy of OS X with your Apple ID and then restore all your personal stuff. Anything that was placed on the machine by the previous owner and that he used his Apple ID to install, is going to give you problems. Otherwise, just live with having to use the previous owner's Apple ID to update the apps or OS X. If you don't have his password, you can't even do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.