iPad Storage Not Accurate

Reaction score
I have a 16GB iPad mini. Currently in my usage settings it is showing that I have used 8.2 GB of storage with the photo and camera. When I look in the photos and camera I only have 64 photos and three videos. All of the videos are under 2 minutes.

I just updated to iOS 8.2 and that didn't work.

Not sure what would be causing this, has anyone encountered this before or provide any help?

Thanks a lot!
Ryan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What about other things that have been installed (other than pictures). What about

- user installed apps
- user downloaded/installed music
- user downloaded/installed video's/movies

And don't forget. The iPads OS (iOS) takes up space too. When you have a 16gig iPad…you don't actually get 16gig of user available storage.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, all the other apps they add up to maybe 1GB, 2GB tops.

But you know when you go into Setting>General>Usage and it tells you how much space each application is taking up? Well for the photos and camera is says 8.9GB but there isn't that much, 64 photos and 3 videos..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But you know when you go into Setting>General>Usage and it tells you how much space each application is taking up? Well for the photos and camera is says 8.9GB but there isn't that much, 64 photos and 3 videos..

What sort of videos are these? If they're like 2 +/- hour movie type videos…depending on the format & resolution…they can be 700meg to 2.0+gig each.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
What sort of videos are these? If they're like 2 +/- hour movie type videos…depending on the format & resolution…they can be 700meg to 2.0+gig each.

- Nick

They are just 2 minute videos that my daughter recorded. The longest on is about 2 minutes.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
A surprisingly large amount of storage can be taken up by the so called "Other" files. If you connect your device to a computer for syncing from iTunes how much of the storage in the bar graph at the bottom of the sync window is devoted to "Other" ?
https://discussions.apple.com/servl...2-2-246358/Space+usage+graph+for+computer.png
You may say, what the heck is "Other." Well it is comprised of ;
Browser cache
Mail cache
Mail messages
Mail attachments
Safari's Reading List
iTunes Backups
Crud resulting from jailbreaking your iDevice (if you have)
Game data
Saved data files
Call history
Notes
Media
Voice memos
And that's not all. A lot of stuff really, and a simple solution would be to back up the device and erase it then restore it from backup. However many of those files will be recreated by the apps concerned or saved in the backup.
So follow the list and dispose of the items you can one by one.
Note; Mail cache includes Mail Trash and Photos and Videos also have metadata attached like titles, dates, album names ect. Many of these files are invisible but they still use up storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Actually, OP, have you checked your deleted photos and videos? I ask because it can be that you have a certain number of deleted things, and since iOS now stores them for you for 30 days in case you want them back, it still counts against your total memory.

If you don't want the stuff, then go to the "recently deleted" album in Photos, and delete them. That might clear up some space.

(I had a similar problem as I was downloading videos to my iPad that got stored under Photos. When I deleted, the space was still used up, and that's when I figured it out).

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Mencelus that is yet another example and I hadn't thought of that myself. So what you see is not necessarily what you get in relation to storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2014 Mac Mini (Base Model, High Sierra); iPad 2018 (Latest iOS); iPhone 7 (Latest iOS)
Mencelus that is yet another example and I hadn't thought of that myself. So what you see is not necessarily what you get in relation to storage.

Exactly. Or rather, it's sort of what, at least Windows XP, used to do with its Trash/Recycle Bin (I haven't investigated Mac OS X yet as I'm still new). Essentially, something is deleted, but not REALLY deleted, until you delete it again. I'm guessing most Mac/iOS things go ahead and delete, but for some reason, Photos hang around. It makes a kind of sense, in that you might delete something, then find out you actually wanted that for reals. I've had it be useful exactly once.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.