Desk recommendation for iMac 27"?

Reaction score
I have been looking for a good solid wood desk for a couple of weeks now for my upcoming iMac purchase...I'm not trying to spend a fortune but I wanted solid wood and not fiberboard or anything hollow. The only design I liked that was solid wood (that didn't cost an arm and a leg) was at IKEA...this is what I ended up going with: ARKELSTORP Desk - IKEA

I just got it yesterday, have not assembled it yet, it's 55" wide (left to right/right to left) by just under 28" in depth (front to back/back to front.) It's still sitting boxed in my bedroom right now and every time I look at it I keep questioning myself...is this big enough for this size of a computer? I have looked at other people's setups on different forums and some have desks that are only 19" in depth and they are sporting this monster on that so I'm guessing I'm good to go? It doesn't mention max weight load for some reason but other desks from IKEA that are not wood show max loads of 50 plus pounds so I'm assuming my iMac's weight should be no issue at all?

What do you guys think?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I think you're over thinking it.

Get a desk you like and that fullfills your needs whether it's that one or another one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I have an earlier version of that same IKEA desk. I use it with a 24" AOC monitor when I use my rMBP as a desktop.

It works beautifully. I have plenty of room to take notes and have a cup of coffee.

I agree with Bob: don't overthink it.

And even if you do change your mind, the great thing about IKEA is that they will take anything back in any state of assembly.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just got it yesterday, have not assembled it yet, it's 55" wide (left to right/right to left) by just under 28" in depth (front to back/back to front.)

I have looked at other people's setups on different forums and some have desks that are only 19" in depth and they are sporting this monster on that so I'm guessing I'm good to go?

28" in depth is a perfect size…especially for a 27" iMac. If you went with something that was 19" depth you would be way too close to the computer.

It doesn't mention max weight load for some reason but other desks from IKEA that are not wood show max loads of 50 plus pounds so I'm assuming my iMac's weight should be no issue at all?

No issue at all.

Here's the kind of table I use all the time:

http://www.staples.com/Global-5-Folding-Melamine-Banquet-Table/product_395529?externalize=certona

s0046850_sc7

About $70 bucks…and notice the weight capacity (150 pounds).:) Maybe not super attractive for some folks…but it works great for me. I would actually not pay $70 (this was just an example).

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
You will be able to lift the iMac with one hand. I am a female with T-Rex upper body strength and I can pick up the iMac at work and move it very easily.

I prefer the depth on a desk as that 27" monitor is going to feel "in your face" if it is too close. That is a lot of screen - and you will love it.

The desk looks nice. I like the solid wood too. I have two ikea desks at work with a fake wood look paint and I hate the fact they scratch easy but they do the job.

Lisa

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Go find you a thrift store or a resale shop. Even a yard sale. Find an old, solid wood office desk.
Mine was my dads. I refinished the top. Even if you're not good with wood or cant due to where you live it's better than a lot of the new stuff.
Sanding and re staining, about a day and a half (using an electric sander). This one is 30 in. deep by 60 in. wide.
One drawer can hold hanging files. This thing should last another 50 years.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Craig. I'm using a 1970 Sears Executive Wooden Desk that I bought second hand from a friend. The desk is solid oak (70" x 36" x 28") and has a mar resistant top. It's been moved from Hawaii (where I bought it) to Louisiana, Florida, and finally here in Texas. The only problem with it is, it takes 2 or 3 guys to lift and move the monster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
This is the retro desk that I bought and use for my 21" iMac, but I'm now going to take the bottom desk-part off, and make it bigger. Im finding that it is a little small, but has served me well for $70 . . . .

fqbdZEW.jpg

Reaction score
Whoever designed that must enjoy losing things :)
Or just like holes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.