Safari last page reappearing

Reaction score
Hi All,
I hope this is the correct place for this query/problem.
If I let my iMac go to sleep and leave it unattended for a few hours when I return and use it again the site I was last on web page appears on screen.
It isn't the full blown web page but a sort of cut down version.

Pressing the Space Bar clears the screen or I can go to the site by clicking the Open with Safari button as showing top RH of screenshot.
I would prefer not to have the last web site appear on my screen when I wake up the computer so how do I stop this happening please.
Regards,
Tezman.

Webpage.png

Energy.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you completely shutting down Safari and clearing the screen prior to putting the machine to sleep?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.
Are you completely shutting down Safari and clearing the screen prior to putting the machine to sleep?

I close the page using the the red dot x top LH corner.
The screen then just shows the desktop wallpaper.
I then leave the computer and when I return (maybe 2 hours later) the last site i visited is showing but not as a full page.

Reaction score
Closing the page with the red dot is not quitting Safari. When you wake up Safari is still running.
Quit it with the Command-Q keystroke or using the Safari menu and selecting Quit.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Thanks for the reply.

I close the page using the the red dot x top LH corner.
The screen then just shows the desktop wallpaper.
I then leave the computer and when I return (maybe 2 hours later) the last site i visited is showing but not as a full page.

Using the red dot closes Safari, so it should not open the last page viewed when you open a new Safari window.

This issue doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with Safari.

I want to know what app is open when you wake the machine - what is listed as the current in focus app up on the menu bar?

What application window is that we're seeing in the background that has the 'Open with Safari' link in the screen shot you posted? That is not Safari.

Reaction score
That looks like something being looked at in Quicklook.
I pressed space while a webloc was selected and got the same thing.
Don't know about the System Preferences window.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
in the safari menu in the menu bar, select preferences then:

general tab
set safari to open with a new window
set new windows to open to whatever you want other than same page

OP
T
Reaction score
bobtomay you asked.

What application window is that we're seeing in the background that has the 'Open with Safari' link in the screen shot you posted?
It's a football club site, but it could be any site.
Yesterday it was this forum.
I've done a full screen shot so you can see the page that loads itself is not filling the screen as a normal page does.
I want to know what app is open when you wake the machine
It's Finder in the top LH of screen.
cradom.
Don't know about the System Preferences window.
Sorry if that's confusing the issue, I just included that so you could see the sleep settings.

nickyr,
This is how the General Tab is set up.

Just to clarify, after I've been surfing the web I close the window by clicking the red dot top LH of screen and go away from the computer for several hours, when I return I normally touch the spacebar and within a few seconds a web page starts to appear, it will be the last website that I'd visited.

Screen.png

Gen Tab.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
strange

mine is set up the same but if I close safari by clicking on the red dot, put my mac to sleep, return later to wake it I just get the desktop picture and have to actually click on safari in the dock for it to open. It then opens to my home page.

Reaction score
What you're looking at is a Quicklook image. That's why it says "Open with Safari" in the corner.
See in my pic, the arrow... Is that a saved web page or a Webloc? It's selected. when you wake the computer up by pressing Space, it does a Quicklook of whatever is selected.

Safari last page reappearing - Mac-Forums Discussions for Apple Products & Services 2015-03-17 1.png

OP
T
Reaction score
cradom, you asked.
Is that a saved web page or a Webloc?
The icons on the LH side of the desktop are shortcuts to home pages of regular visited web sites.
I'm just wondering if it's happening because after I've closed the web page I use "Finder" before I leave the computer to go to sleep.
I'll try to refrain from using "Finder" after I finish with Safari and see if stops the pages appearing.
I'll let you know.

Reaction score
Also try using another key besides space to wake up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.