Apple Student Store prices at Resellers?

Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's any AAR (Apple Authorized Resellers) that sell macbooks at the prices offered at the Apple Student Store? (since the prices are usually $100 less)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not that I know of. Apple resellers operate on a very thin margin and only usually offer discounts on models that have been discontinued. However, use your googling skills and look around, maybe you'll find what you're looking for discounted. Just be careful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
You can ask for student pricing at an Apple Retail store, if you have one near you. I've done this myself.

You can also go to the Apple Store for Education online (this is the US link) but they will ask for proof of student status before you purchase.

OP
P
Reaction score
You can ask for student pricing at an Apple Retail store, if you have one near you. I've done this myself.

You can also go to the Apple Store for Education online (this is the US link) but they will ask for proof of student status before you purchase.

The reason I asked it to circumvent the tax I have to pay at the online store, which is usually an additional $100, which defeats the purpose of student pricing, in which case I could just order from a reseller like B&H. I'm wondering if this additional tax applies in a retail store, or are there fixed prices?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're going to pay sales tax when purchasing from a retail store whether or not they offer a discounted price. Ordering from B&H allows you to avoid the sales tax as long as you're not a resident of NY state. I always buy my Apple Care from B&H because of their discount.

OP
P
Reaction score
You're going to pay sales tax when purchasing from a retail store whether or not they offer a discounted price. Ordering from B&H allows you to avoid the sales tax as long as you're not a resident of NY state. I always buy my Apple Care from B&H because of their discount.

Understood. So B&H prices are as low as they get. Thank you :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The reason I asked it to circumvent the tax I have to pay at the online store, which is usually an additional $100, which defeats the purpose of student pricing, in which case I could just order from a reseller like B&H. I'm wondering if this additional tax applies in a retail store, or are there fixed prices?

State sales tax is mandated by the state where you purchase the item: it has nothing to do with Apple Store policy.

If you order an Apple item through Apple's online Student Store, you will be charged state sales tax if Apple has a physical presence in your state (and you live in a state that charges sales tax).

As chscag said, margins are thin enough, so a student discount with no tax is going to be tough to find.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.