MBA 2011 keyboard/trackpad freeze

Reaction score
Hi!

I have a MacBook Air 13", 2011, with Mavericks.

The problem in a nutshell: the keyboard and the trackpad freezes. Putting it to sleep sometimes helps.

The problem detailed:
  • trackpad behaves erratically for a second, then dies. System Preferences reports no trackpad.
  • the keyboard also dies (except the power button)
  • bluetooth dies shortly after. Bluetooth icon crossed out.
  • right side USB stops working

I can still use the left USB port to connect an Apple keyboard and a mouse.

I have tried:
  • Clean install of Yosemite (this is of course more radical than kext cache cleaning, startup item cleaning and etc. on an existing install)
  • SMC / PRAM reset
  • Safe mode boot
  • Disassembly to the point of removing the touchpad ribbon cable, bluetooth/wifi module and the battery
  • Multiple power supplies / outlets / staying on battery power

It might be a hardware problem, but I need help to narrow it down.

Some common log entries related to this:

• SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR: smcReadData8 failed for key B0OS
  • AppleUSBHubPort::FatalError - Port 1 of Hub at 0xfa100000 reported error 0xe00002c0 while doing setting port power
  • SMC::smcInitHelper ERROR: MMIO regMap == NULL - fall back to old SMC mode
  • AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::message - kIOUSBMessagePortHasBeenReset.
  • AppleUSBMultitouchDriver::validateChecksum - 22-byte packet checksum is incorrect

A more detailed history, I couldn't find any help there.

I'm hoping to find someone who encountered a similar problem.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac-Forums.

That's quite a long thread you started over in Mac Rumors, thanks for posting the link. After looking at the errors and your attempts at repair, it appears you're fighting a losing war. I'm betting that you've got a defective (intermittent) logic board problem that likely is only going to get repaired by replacing it. Good luck with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.