Windows Bootcamp won't boot back up into OSX

Reaction score
Okay, so here's the deal.

I got a new HDD, because my computer needed it. I formatted it on the Mac, then booted into Windows. Once I booted into windows, I reformatted the HDD again to make it work. But since I did that, I can't boot into OS X. I go through the Bootcamp process, and click "Restart" as my Macintosh HD, but it boots right back into Windows.

I have tried holding option while booting, but that also does nothing -- it goes straight to Windows.

Any help is greatly appreciated -- I have business to finish, and it is on my Mac side. I need it to work pronto.

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like you formatted your OS X partition instead of the new drive.

Have you booted into the recovery partition (by holding the 'command' and 'R' keys) and gone into Disk Utility to see what it shows there?

OP
S
Reaction score
Sounds like you formatted your OS X partition instead of the new drive.

Have you booted into the recovery partition (by holding the 'command' and 'R' keys) and gone into Disk Utility to see what it shows there?

Unfortunately, that's not it. I can check the formatted drives, and it says that Macintosh HD is HFS

I have tried command-r, and it goes straight to windows as well

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I got a new HDD, because my computer needed it. I formatted it on the Mac, then booted into Windows. Once I booted into windows, I reformatted the HDD again to make it work. But since I did that, I can't boot into OS X. I go through the Bootcamp process, and click "Restart" as my Macintosh HD, but it boots right back into Windows.

I'm trying to understand what you've done here. Why would you need to boot to Windows and format the hard drive again to make it work? Without telling us in detail what you did, it's difficult to try to determine what went wrong?

If you didn't accidentally format your OS X partition, try doing a PRAM reset to see if you can get back into OS X. If command + r is not working, that could mean that OS X was not properly installed. Again, hard to tell what's going on without details.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand what you've done here. Why would you need to boot to Windows and format the hard drive again to make it work? Without telling us in detail what you did, it's difficult to try to determine what went wrong?

If you didn't accidentally format your OS X partition, try doing a PRAM reset to see if you can get back into OS X. If command + r is not working, that could mean that OS X was not properly installed. Again, hard to tell what's going on without details.

Okay, I'll step by step explain what I did.

I got my new HDD, so I plugged it into a hard drive bay in my computer (Early 2009 Mac Pro), and it read it once I turned it on. I got the HDD for more space for my Windows, so I formatted it for Windows. Once I did that, I used Time-machine and backed up my Mac harddrive just in case, and switched to Windows. Once I got there, I also backed up that harddrive. After that, I decided to do a quick re-format of the new HDD (I'm not sure why, but I didn't think it would do anything, and I'm still pretty sure that's not the problem). Once I did that, I decided I should get to work on some things that I need to finish up on my mac, but when I tried to switch over, it's doing what it's doing right now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.