AT&T/Verizon iphone 6 on T-mobile?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
So, i found a deal on the iPhone 6. The issue is, I can get a 6 for either Verizon or At&t, and I have T-mobile. So, if I purchased an iPhone 6 that is locked for AT&T or Verizon, will it work on T-Mobile? I am leaning towards YES, but before i purchase, I want to be sure. The phone obviously has a clear imid and is not stolen, it is being sold by a reputable seller.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As far as I know, Verizon iPhones are usually unlocked and since the iPhone 5, the sim slot can accommodate a sim that allows GSM (which T-Mobile uses). The AT&T iPhones are locked and generally can not be used with another carrier unless AT&T unlocks it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
As far as I know, Verizon iPhones are usually unlocked and since the iPhone 5, the sim slot can accommodate a sim that allows GSM (which T-Mobile uses). The AT&T iPhones are locked and generally can not be used with another carrier unless AT&T unlocks it.

Thanks for the info. I am looking at a Verizon iPhone 6 that is specifically labeled in the description as locked. My understanding is that even though it says locked, it should still play nicely and work on T-Mobiles gsm system without any workaround or unlocking needed. So from what I am reading in your response, it "should" work, just pop in a T-Mobile sim, boot up and i should be up and running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I would advise contacting T-Mobile, providing them with the model number of the phone, and asking them if they'd see any issues.

Makes the most sense to me to check with the carrier themselves to avoid being stuck with the wrong hardware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Good advice from member "caribiner23". Always best to check before making an expensive purchase. I do know for sure that the Verizon iPhones from the 5 on have dual radios and that the sim slot is not locked. I also know from my son who has AT&T iPhones for his family that they are locked and AT&T refuses to unlock them until the contract has been fulfilled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.