Saving Setting Option (Local or Database)

Reaction score
Hi,

I am adding various intro pop up screens / messages to my app that explain various parts of the app... such as:

==============================

WELCOME

This section allows you to... etc.

[ ] don't show this again

==============================

User's can click the 'don't show this again' option and the setting will be saved,so that they don't see the message again, however i am trying to decide where to save this setting.

Which do you think is a better method?

A - save the setting to locally within the app (quicker access, but would future updates cause problems)

B - save the setting to the user's profile in the database (slower, but would not effect future updates)

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
In general no one likes repeatedly making the same selections. I tend to default with carrying configuration over versions, unless there is a very specific reason to change that on a new version.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can't imagine that future updates would cause issues unless you made changes that played with the config setting. I'd go with A and keep everything contained within the app or within its own specific config settings.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.